cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Connected their T8i as a Webcam?

MrHVAC
Contributor

Has anyone successfully connected their Rebel EOS T8i as a webcam? I cannot get any software to recognize my T8i. I called Canon and their technical support was not able to get it connected either. I am using the EOS Webcam Utility Beta 0.9.0 for Windows. The T8i is not listed as a supported camera for that utility. I am using the one for the T7i. When I select the Webcam Utility, I only see the generic webcam utility screen. I have tried all of the usual things suggested. If you have connected yours, please tell me how you did it. Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28

Yes. I did know that it has clean HDMI. That was one of the reasons that I ordered it. Sadly, I bought this camera solely for live view and to replace my webcam. I make at least five videos per month. Oh well. I will wait for the driver update.

You have been awesome with all of your effort trying to help. Thank you very much.

MrHVAC, I know it has been a while since you posted this but I was curious if you were ever able to successfully use your T8i through someother platform ie, zoom, webcamtests.com face video etc etc? I am now running into the same issue and before I started to run the same gambit I felt I should try to reach out! Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I should thank you now also. I have read this thread a few times and have tried everything verbatim. Thank you again!

I just bought the T8i and am unable to find the setting for the CLEAN HDMI? The manual shows it on Camera Screen #5 but I only have 3 screens. Spent hours today trying to figure this out.

@BobM1 wrote:

I just bought the T8i and am unable to find the setting for the CLEAN HDMI? The manual shows it on Camera Screen #5 but I only have 3 screens. Spent hours today trying to figure this out.

What shooting mode is the camera set to?

4C64A447-1A38-43CF-851F-5C20A86BEB90.jpeg

You need to be in a Creative Shooting Mode: P, Tv, Av, or M.

C0F80462-A6D5-4245-851C-8570B1E36642.jpeg

You may also need to be in Movie Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Perfect! Thank you! I did need to be in "M" mode. 

So in this mode how might I be able to get the nice blurred background. Is there a setting for this in M or is it somewhere else.

You need to set the Aperture to the largest opening, smallest value.

Thanks... when I do this on the Av setting it does not seem to hold over to the Video setting. Can't find how to change it to work with video.

@kvbarkley wrote:

You need to set the Aperture to the largest opening, smallest value.

@BobM1 wrote:

Perfect! Thank you! I did need to be in "M" mode. 

So in this mode how might I be able to get the nice blurred background. Is there a setting for this in M or is it somewhere else.

One of my mantras is this.  Before you can become a good videographer you must first be a good photographer.  This means that you need a firm grasp on the basics of photography: the Exposure Triangle and Depth OF Field.  You have to learn how to walk before you can think about trying to run.

Understood. But I bought this camera to be used as a high quality webcam. The instructions are not very clear at all on how to manage setting to create the blurred background effect. I have adjusted the aperture in the Av setting but it does not seem to carry over to the video. That is why I am asking. The manual is not helping at all. 

@BobM1 wrote:

Understood. But I bought this camera to be used as a high quality webcam. The instructions are not very clear at all on how to manage setting to create the blurred background effect. I have adjusted the aperture in the Av setting but it does not seem to carry over to the video. That is why I am asking. The manual is not helping at all. 

No, [the] instructions are not clear.  The instructions teach you how to use the camera, not how to be a photographer.

The camera is an instrument.  You are not going to pick one up, having never used one before, and be an instant expert.  There is a learning curve.  You must first understand the basics of photography before you can understand videography.

I suggest that you do searches on YouTube for videos about " Exposure Triangle " and " Depth of Field ".

Announcements