cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware compatibility question: Canon EOS camera / Nikon external flash

nicepace
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 digital camera. I have a couple of Nikon external flash units that were formerly used with Nikon film cameras. One is a Nikon SB-10 external flash and the other is a Nikon SB-E external flash. Is there any chance these flash units can work with this camera?

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

You won’t be able to use TTL, if those flashes have the ability, but it should work ok for manual triggering.  If it doesn’t you might play around with covering up some of the contacts on the hotshoe, you should only need the center contact for manual triggering.  Also, you could get a cheap radio frequency trigger like the RF-602 and that would work.  But I’m guessing it’ll work fine in manual on-camera.

One note: look up the trigger voltage of those flashes and make sure it’s not a high-voltage flash that could hurt your camera.  Here’s a pretty good list:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Wow, a real blast from the past!  I wouldn't try to use either of them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the replies. Those specific flash units aren't on the list at the above link (they must be antiques). I have now read enough about possible damage to the camera from incompatible flash units that it has scared me away from trying them.

@nicepace wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Those specific flash units aren't on the list at the above link (they must be antiques). I have now read enough about possible damage to the camera from incompatible flash units that it has scared me away from trying them.

The SB-10 was on the list, it's like a 5V trigger, it's fine. 

The SB-E isn't, but a quick google search shows several people who have the same question, so I suggest a little research.  I saw a couple people mention trigger voltages in the 20-30V range, but I didn't put a lot of research in.  I also don't know what the advertised limit of the T3 is.  Someone said they used it on a D60 with no issue; YMMV.

I think in reality either one is fine, but if you're concerned then buy a $25 RF trigger - the Yongnuo RF-602.  Now you have off-camera flash capability and you won't worry about damaging your camera.

All Canon DSLR's made after 2005 are safe up to 250 volts. Only the 10D, D60, D30 and original Digital Rebel (300D) from 2000-2004 are limited to 6 volts.   

More info here:    Chuck Westfall in Digital Journalist

Mike Sowsun
Announcements