cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP WITH FITTING AF LENSE TO CANON REBEL XS WITHOUT LOSING AUTOFOCUS

Slughead123
Apprentice

.I am an activities director at San Juan Assisted Living. I have used my Canon Rebel XS for years....its been good to me as an amateur photographer....during this time my lenses got damaged and I came across two Minolta AF lenses...to my surprise they didn't fit....so I got an adapter but the auto-focus stopped working with the adapter...do you know of any advice on how to make it work with this AF type lenses?

9 REPLIES 9

AndyMilnePhotog
Enthusiast

Minolta AF lenses when using an adapter on your Rebel XS does not have autofocus because the AF function on the lens works with Minolta film AF-motor cameras only, not Canon cameras.

What native Canon lens did you own prior to damaging it?

Try calling Canon's customer service and they will repair or replace the lens for you. 

1-800-652-2666

Andrew
Nature Photography Hobbyist / Enthusiast
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I just put this Ford part on my Chevy and it doesn't work what could be wrong?

This is essentially what you are asking. Only Canon EF or EF-S lenses or third party lenses designed for Canon will auto focus.

I know it makes sense the way you say it like that.....Just of course Im an amatuer and saw the lenses and jumped at the ball for the low price.   My mistake....well they work great with the adapter just need to learn my maual skills.  Thank you so much for the response

@kvbarkley wrote:

I just put this Ford part on my Chevy and it doesn't work what could be wrong?

This is essentially what you are asking. Only Canon EF or EF-S lenses or third party lenses designed for Canon will auto focus.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...do you know of any advice on how to make it work with this AF type lenses?"

Not only AF won't work but nothing except looking through it will work. It is a bad idea all the way around. You are far, by far, better served buying a Canon or a used Canon ef/ef-s lens. A used ef 50mm f1.8 lens can be had for less than $50 bucks. Sometimes very much less than $50 bucks and it would be lightyears better than what you are trying to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The old Minolta lenses will not have anywhere near the image quality of current digital lenses.

You will need to manually focus them, and I have no idea how you would adjust aperture. You just might be stuck with using one aperture setting all the time.

But, there is one way to trick the AF system into helping you manually focus lenses. Use One Shot AF mode and the center AF point.

Half pressing the shutter wakes up the AF system. Aim the camera. Keep it held and adjust focus. It will beep when the AF point is in focus.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

...and I have no idea how you would adjust aperture. You just might be stuck with using one aperture setting all the time.

Most vintage MF lenses have an aperture ring to adjust the lens' iris. And the Minolta AF lenses have an electronic aperture mechanism like EF/EF-S glass.

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

@AndyMilnePhotog wrote:
...and I have no idea how you would adjust aperture. You just might be stuck with using one aperture setting all the time.

Most vintage MF lenses have an aperture ring to adjust the lens' iris. And the Minolta AF lenses have an electronic aperture mechanism like EF/EF-S glass.

Exactly, my point.  If it will not electronically control autofocus, how is it going electronically control aperture?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If it will not electronically control autofocus, how is it going electronically control aperture? 

Perhaps an electronic Minolta AF to EF/EF- S adapter, but I don't think there is one in existance at all. 

Andrew
Canon EOS Rebel T6i

"Perhaps an electronic Minolta AF to EF/EF- S adapter, ..."

I doubt that is even possible as Minolta lenses and Canon lenses don't speak the same language. A any rate it isn't worth the time and certainly not the expense to try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements