cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP.. 600d 1080P 30fps & 24 fps video jerky (skewing) problem upon movement (pan or tilt)

kaybeeahmed
Contributor

Hi People I am using brand new CANON EOS 600D, Made in Taiwan. At the time of recording on 1080p 30fps and 24 fps, the video quality skews upon movement (panning or tilt) but at 720p it work perfectly fine . I record in Manual setting entirely. The Movie exposure, ISO all are manual but at every level the problem persists even it dosent matter if i view the video in camera or LCD / LED . Here is an example of video from youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWHrfmphCOI Please help

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm looking at this and I'm wondering if this isn't caused by the image stabilization system trying to compensate for movement.  

The system is supposed to try to keep the image steady -- it's not intended for panning.  There are higher end lenses that have a mode switch -- in one mode it tries to keep your subject completely steady... in the other mode it understandings you intend to "pan" the camera sideways so it only stablizaes vertically but allows the camera to pan horiztonally without fighting the panning motion.

Can you try switching off the image stabilization to see if that helps with your panning shot?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for  your feedback. 

Actually i dont use image stabilization lense, i use canon lens 18-55m and 50mm , F 1.8. 

With these lenses the problem presists on 1080p , 30fps and 24fps while works perfectly fine on 720p, 60fps. 

I use SDHC class 4 memory card. 

Don't know what seems to be the problem. 

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 doesn't have IS, but the Canon EF-S 18-55mm lenses do have image stabilization.  On the side of the lens you'll see two switches... one is the AF/MF switch and a Stabilizer ON/OFF switch.    

The camera uses a "rolling" electronic shutter when using live-view or video.  A "rollling" shutter means the camera doesn't technically read-out all pixels at the same time (a "global shutter" does that, but those are typically very expensive special-purposes cameras).  A "rolling" shutter reads out the pixels row-by-row and that means that the precise moment in time when the camera scans each pixel is not technically the same (and can lead to some odd effects.)

Here's a video that can help explain it (he explains what a "rolling" shutter is starting at the 4 minute mark.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for all the briefings. 

It helps a lot to understand the functionality. 

Yesterday I tried Canon EFS 18-200mm , F/ 3.5 - 5.6 IS lens with image stabilization but the problem remains the same on

1080p, 30fps / 25fps.

Im not sure how to fix it. 

Announcements