cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gray 'Floatie'

thecameraeos1
Apprentice

Needing some help from the forum.

Not sure if it's coming from the sensor/mirror.   If so, wondering what techniques you guys do.

I tried getting in there with a microfiber cloth, but it didn't feel right so I immediately stopped before causing potential harm.

Looks like a squiggly figure, appears on evey photo and depending on the aperture settings and light, it really becomes noticeable.

I end up having to blue it out later, but would like to see what options are possible.  
I'll attach a few photod so you can see.IMG_1464.JPG

3 REPLIES 3

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@thecameraeos1 wrote:

Needing some help from the forum.

Not sure if it's coming from the sensor/mirror.   If so, wondering what techniques you guys do.

I tried getting in there with a microfiber cloth, but it didn't feel right so I immediately stopped before causing potential harm.

Looks like a squiggly figure, appears on evey photo and depending on the aperture settings and light, it really becomes noticeable.

I end up having to blue it out later, but would like to see what options are possible.  
I'll attach a few photod so you can see.IMG_1464.JPG

NEVER touch then mirror, it has a very easily damaged coating.

If there is something on the mirror it won't show up in a photo, as the mirror moves of the image path when the photo is being taken.

Most likely the fiber is on the image sensor. You can have it professional cleaned or you can do it your self-starting with a bulb blower. Never use canned or compressed air when cleaning your camera. 

I'll PM you a link to a write-up on sensor cleaning I did for another site. 

Fuzz on sensor. 100% positive. Get a Rocket Blower type bulb squeeze air thing.  For fuzz like that it should be adequate. 

Make sure you raise the mirror. The sensor is behind the mirror. Go into MENU and there is a command for raising the mirror for cleaning. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

FYI if you notice other little specs in the images you may or may not be up for a wet clean. Personally I am not, at least not until I'd need one, so I use a sensor cleaning gel stick. It works really well and is almost unbelievably fast and easy. The main name is Eyelead, but there are knock-offs. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements