cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Hawaii on a helicoptor doors off ride, should I use 10-22 ef-s or 17-85 IS ef-s?

bjchitown
Contributor

I have a 450D, which lens would you use, also any other tips regarding taking pictures from a helicoptor are appreciated. This is in Kauai.

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

A VERY beautiful place & if you're like me you'll want to get back in & do it again. Did the tour too late in the trip (due to a weather delay) to do it twice but would if I ever get back. I shot the entire ride with a 20D & Sigma 18-200 & I don't think I'd recommend the 10-22 over the 17-85 but you can check the photo info in my album & decide for yourself.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116179596240613012497/KauaiHelicopterTourWithInterisland

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Skirball
Authority

The 17-85.  I love my 10-22 but it is a specialty lens, I wouldn’t want my entire ride to be captured on it.  Also, with the exception of Real Estate photography, I use ultra wide angle lenses to get close, not to see everything.  Far away landscape shots look… far away.  It can be cool for one shot, but if that’s all you use they’re all going to look the same. 

Like anything in photography, these are just guidelines.  If the heli comes up close to a waterfall it could look really cool ultra wide.  But if I could only take 1 I’d stick with the range and the standard FOV of the 17-85.  The 17-85 also has image stabilization, which could be a plus.  And in general I think it’s much sharper than the 10-22.

Have fun!

^^^Cipico's response

And there you have it, different styles for different folks.  🙂

Nevermind, just re-read the response. Looks like it's 17-85

Forgot to ask; where will you be staying? I have a few other albums from my trip in 05.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements