cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given the choice of rebel t5i, t4i, t3i, or t3i, which would you purchase ?

napalady1
Apprentice

Assuming proper lens is used and setup the same on each camera ._t5i  t4i  t3i  t2i    Best choice ._.For birding/wildlife ?   For 7 yr old twins in motion?    Thank you for your knowledge and wisdom .    

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

Best camera out of those - the T5i.  The best choice, that's up to you. 

All of the cameras are fairly similar (same sensor, mostly the same processor, feature set, etc).  But little things were added (and sometimes removed) with each revision.  The T3i was a great camera, for its class, and is still used frequently for video.  You can also get it cheap, which is why I recommend it frequently.

That said, for birding you want the fastest camera you can.  The T5i has a faster burst rate.  Whether or not the AF system can even keep up is a different matter.   But the burst rate will help a bit.  Also, the T5i has better AF points (9 cross point as opposed to only 1 on the others), which can help in low light and low contrast situations.

If you're really into birding you might look into an old 7D.  It has a far superior AF system to any of the Rebels, and can be bought fairly cheap as it's older and has been replaced by a new model.  But it's a much bigger camera, and more complicated.  That might not be what you want.  Any of these cameras are going to need a big expensive lens to really do birding well.

SteveInfante
Apprentice

I recently purchased the T5i as my first DSLR and love it. Everything is easy to figure out and manipulate. Learning on this camera has been really fun and amazing when you finally figure each feature out and adjust to get certain shots. 

Hey! Nice to meet you. My name is Steve and I'm here to Party...what?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You really can not buy a new T4i any longer so that choice is out.  The correct answer to the question is the T5i.  It is just a little better in several ways over the T3i, T3, or the T2i to win out.  Digic 5, 5 fps, higher ISO, better AF, etc.

So the real question is money!  How much can you afford or are comfortable with?  

The bottom line is any camera is better than no camera.  If you can do the T5i, than by all means buy it.  If you can do it, than the new 7D Mk II is for you.  But you are looking at  around twice the price.  It is probably the "birder's/wildlife shooter's" choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

While there were several differences between a T3i and a T4i, there was almost no difference between a T4i and a T5i.  Consequently, when Canon introduced the T5i, they discontinued the T4i... but they still make the T3i.

BTW, you wrote "T3i" twice in your title and I'm guessing you menat to write "T3" (without the "i" suffix) on one of those.

There is a huge difference between a T3 and a T3i (that "i" suffix is very significant).  The T3 is Canon's entry model... it is the most basic.  It is also the most affordable.

The T3i is a noticeable step up in performance, metering, and several other areas.  Also the T3i was the first of Canon's line to get a rear LCD screen which swings out and articulates.  

The T4i is discontinued... you'll not likely find one for sale at any authorized Canon dealer.

The T5i has a touch-screen LCD.  Also it's focusing system is improved a bit... Canon went from a 9 point auto-focus array with a single "cross type" point in the center, to a 9 point auto-focus system where all 9 points are "cross type" (cross type points tend to be more accurately.)

A 70D will has an even better focusing system (and faster continuous burst shooting speed for action shots) and a 7D is just slightly better yet... and the brand new 7D II has a more significantly improved AF system and faster than the 7D.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jweisman54
Apprentice

I currently use the T2i with a Sigma 18-250 Macro HSM for my every day use.  I am looking to upgrade to either the T5i or wait until Canon brings out a newer Rebel. 

@jweisman54 wrote:

I currently use the T2i with a Sigma 18-250 Macro HSM for my every day use.  I am looking to upgrade to either the T5i or wait until Canon brings out a newer Rebel. 

A T5i would give you all 9 cross-type AF points and an articulated touch-screen LCD.  But the sensor resolution, ISO, noise-levels, etc. will all be "about the same".  It's a moderate upgrade.  A stronger upgrade would be a mid-level or above body.  

Buying a new lens... tuned to whatever type of shooting you like to do... or perhaps lighting (e.g. a Speedlite flash) would have more of a noticeable difference in terms of what you can do than a camera body would be able to provide.

A 70D or above would be more of a significant upgrade.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements