cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting pictures of small object with white background

Howieem
Apprentice

I own a Canon Rebel XT EOS 350D.  I also have a light box.  I'm trying to take  photos of writing pens against a white background so that I can post them on the web.  No matter what I try, the photos come out with the object too dark, and the background isn't white.  I know how to use my camera, but I'm a novice at all of the settings.  Has anyone out there tried what I'm trying, and could share with me how to set my camera (explained for a novice, please) so that I will end up with the object being bright and clear, and the background will be consistantly white?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kvbarkley wrote:

The background will be middle grey, not white, because of the exposure issue.

When whites do not appear white, then it can be corrected by adjusting the color temperature.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2014/20140218_carr_whitebalancesnow_blog.shtml   

I don't see what exposure has to do with correcting the white background colors at all. 

Sure, the camera makes an assumption, which in this case creates the wrong tone for white backgrounds, when it takes a picture.  Changing the "exposure" means what?  Changing the shutter speed?  Changing ISO?  Changing aperture?  Actually, you can change any of those settings, and the camera will still make the same incorrect assumption on color temperature, with the same results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Two things to try:

Use spot exposure mode, if you have it, and keep the pen in the center.

Dial in exposure compensation, yours is much like a snowy scene so try going down 1 or 2 stops.

Up 1 or 2 stops of EC for white and snow. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Arg! I always get that backwards. I ruined a roll of slide film that way!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Refer to your instruction manual for more details regarding on setting up a custom white balance setting. 

White balance has nothing to do with it. It is all expsoure. Taking an image of a mainly white sheet should be pretty good for auto white balance. 8^)

@kvbarkley wrote:

White balance has nothing to do with it. It is all expsoure. Taking an image of a mainly white sheet should be pretty good for auto white balance. 8^)

"No matter what I try, the photos come out with the object too dark, and the background isn't white." 

Really? 

@kvbarkley wrote:

When whites do not appear white, then it can be corrected by adjusting the color temperature.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2014/20140218_carr_whitebalancesnow_blog.shtml   

I don't see what exposure has to do with correcting the white background colors at all. 

Sure, the camera makes an assumption, which in this case creates the wrong tone for white backgrounds, when it takes a picture.  Changing the "exposure" means what?  Changing the shutter speed?  Changing ISO?  Changing aperture?  Actually, you can change any of those settings, and the camera will still make the same incorrect assumption on color temperature, with the same results.

Sigh. We have no evidence of a color shift. I will see your white balance article and raise you an exposure article:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/qt_photograph_snow_article.shtml

Everything he has said is consistent with a simple exposure issue.

I already said what to do, I would just dial in +1 to +2 exposure compensation.

And conversely, if it is just exposure, custom white balance won't help either.

Announcements