cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Nifty Fifty STM Lens for my Birthday

axepilot
Contributor

I've been looking into the Nifty Fifty for a while, and  I requested it from my lovely bride. I've read lots of great things about it and I'm looking forward to exploring it. 

My attraction was the wide f/stop (apologies, old head 35 mm shooter here) and versatility.

Going to be fun! 

8 REPLIES 8

Ray-uk
Whiz

By all accounts a great lens, don't forget to show us some of the results you get.

Please don't call it a "nifty fifty", this outdated term has been applied to just about every manufacturers 50mm lens so is a bit irrelevant.

Ray,

I shall strike "nifty fifty" from my lexicon. Cat Happy

Call it whatever you wish, just don't call it late for a good shot! 

I'm just an amateur enthusiast having fun with a new camera. While I come from the old school 35mm world, DLSRs are brand new to me.

Whole new world.........Cat Happy

"I shall strike "nifty fifty" from my lexicon"

I wouldn't.  No mater what it is, it still is a 'fifty' and you will decide if it is 'nifty'.  If, yes, then it is a nifty fifty!  Right?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've experimented with some shots and I can see some limitations and pluses.

Just messing around with low f stop numbers, it does a really good job with a smoothly blurred background. It is very sharp.

As far as a general purpose / on the move / go anywhere lens, I think the kit 18-55 does a better job.

The 50 will work very well for portraits. I'm happy.

"As far as a general purpose / on the move / go anywhere lens, I think the kit 18-55 does a better job."

The same conclusion most photographers come to.  It isn't a first or only lens.

"The 50 will work very well for portraits. I'm happy."

For that work it is great. Glad you like it, money well spent!

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The great thing about a 50mil is the fast f1.8 aperture.  The bad thing is, it is a difficult FL for general use.  Especially on a cropper, not as bad on a FF.  The only reason a 50mm was designed at all is, it is considered "normal" human eye AOV.

Don't know how 'nifty' that makes it. However, almost everybody has or had one. I have three right now with the 50mm f1.2L being one of my mostest favorite lenses of all time.

One last thing, the 50mil is a very sharp lens.  Perhaps that is it's best attribute. I do hope you enjoy you new lens.

EB
Announcements