cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Image Files from the T3i via USB

jeffamm
Apprentice

I'm currently using an old EOS Digital Rebel with an 18-55mm lens, which I use for product photography (for website).  The business is growing so I'm taking a lot of photos, and it's getting cumbersome to keep removing the CF card and load in PC.  I want to upgrade to a setup that doesn't need a card to move between camera and PC - either something with a USB port or wireless.  Can anyone verify that the T3i works the way I think - I'll run a USB cable from the camera to the PC and I can pull the pictures off the camera easily, like accessing a hard drive?  Or am I wrong about that?  I'll need a USB cable that is 10' long or so, which I also don't think is a problem, but it would be good to hear that someone else is using it this way and that it works.

I'm also looking for a lens recommendation, as I'll probably buy the body only rather than get another 18-55mm.  I'd like something with a little bit more zoom capability (to get a little tighter), and it would be good to have some macro ability.  Any suggestions on a Canon lens?

Final question - I'd like to have a larger screen hooked up to the camera, to get a bigger view of what I'm shooting or just shot while still at the camera.  Can I do that with a T3i?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A T3i will do all you ask.  BTW, it doesn't use a CF card; it uses SD cards.

It will come with a short USB cable but you can get "powered" USB cabels 75 feet long or more.

You can tether the T3i to a laptop with Lightroom. 

Best buy in a Canon lens is the EF 24-105mm f4 L.  No lens is going to excel at every possibile situation. Thus the beauty of a DSLR as you can taylor the lens to the job. But this one will come very close.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A T3i will do all you ask.  BTW, it doesn't use a CF card; it uses SD cards.

It will come with a short USB cable but you can get "powered" USB cabels 75 feet long or more.

You can tether the T3i to a laptop with Lightroom. 

Best buy in a Canon lens is the EF 24-105mm f4 L.  No lens is going to excel at every possibile situation. Thus the beauty of a DSLR as you can taylor the lens to the job. But this one will come very close.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements