cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ' Cannot playback image' for 300 pics now on my Rebel T5 using a PNY 64GB card.

JBCanT5
Apprentice

Hi all,

I've been researching this and not having much luck.

Basically, pics and vids in batches have become non viewable on the camera or PC.

I tried to recover the photos and vids from the card using Recuva.

The strange thing is Recuva shows that pics and vids that are not viewalbe and

were also not recoveralbe overwritten by other pics and vids. Not sure how that could happen.

Total pics and vids are 659 which is 5.1 GB worth.

Initially I was able to view every media taken after they were done then the pics and vids

Has anyone run into this and been able to correct it?

Camera:   Rebel T5

Memory Card:   PNY 64 GB  Class 10

I'm getting these errors when I try to view pics or vids:

Message seen on camera for pics and vids that do not displays
'Cannot playback image'

Message seen on PC trying to play video
'Can't play'

Message seen on Pc trying to view pic
'We can't open this file.'

Thank you for any help you can offer,

John

9 REPLIES 9

Try looking at it with a card reader rather than through the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Also note that if the photos were shot in RAW & you don't have software to work with them installed you will get a similar message because the computer can't recognize the CR2 files. You might be wise to install DPP from the Cd that came with the camera. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Also note that if the photos were shot in RAW & you don't have software to work with them installed you will get a similar message because the computer can't recognize the CR2 files. You might be wise to install DPP from the Cd that came with the camera. 

Yeah, but the camera should be able to play them back, and the OP says it is not.  I suspect a bad card, from an unreliable vendor.  I have had exactly two PNY thumb drives, and they both failed after a month. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Have you downloaded the images to a hard drive for storage and post processing or are you using your camera and this card for all of that?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you all for the input.

Scott, yes I have. I've loaded them on a Win 10 laptop.

Not a good review for PNY Waddizzle. That does not bode well.

Thanks cicopo. Sorry, too much of a noob to understand what RAW files are

but will look for the CD that came with the camera. This was a wonderful gift

from my girlfriend for my love of airshows.

Hi Bob. I've tried that as well. I have an older Kingston that has always worked

great with any camera or card used. I do get the same results with that or

directly reading from the camera and PC.

I did find something from Canon about formatting the card prior to use. I don't recall doing

this but it did not seem to be required on the Sandisk 4G card I have been testing with iether.

Thanks again,

John

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@JBCanT5 wrote:
...Camera:   Rebel T5

Memory Card:   PNY 64 GB  Class 10

Not using a micro SD card and adapter, are you?

Not formatting first may be the problem. ALWAYS format a new card.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Not formatting first may be the problem. ALWAYS format a new card.

My T5 doesn't like to format 64 GB cards.  In fact, I gave up on trying to use them.  Formatting them in a computer seems to fix the problem, but you must reformat the card in the camera, afterward, to set up the folders.  The camera seems to set up its' own BAM, Block Allocation Map, which it follows.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That sounds like it Waddizzle.
Based on the pic files being overwritten by other pics I may be hosed trying to get those back.

Think I'll go with a Sandisk 32 card.

John
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements