cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fungus on my Canon lens and I wonder if Canon will repair / clean for free ?

buythisdslr
Apprentice

Fungus on imported Canon 650d, no warranty card, send to Canon or find another shop ?

Hello,

I just found some fungus on my Canon lens and I wonder if Canon will repair/clean this 650D for free ?

The problem is that it comes from Japan and I do not have the warranty document, is there a way to register this camera online or check that the serial number is ok ?

If you think that it's useless to contact Canon for this problem do you know if any other shop could clean or repair it ?

Thank you a lot for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

buythisdslr
Apprentice

Hope you can help, thank you.

The fungus would be in the lens, right? Not in/on the camera?

If it is on the camera, it could be the the rubber grips turning white/discolored. That was a problem in some T4i (650d) cameras. You may have some luck getting Canon USA to deal with it ( I have heard) even though it is "grey market". If not you may have a problem.

If it is fungus in the lens, and it is a brand new lens, the same as above should apply about grey market Equipment and Canon USA. They would not fix the lens but would probably replace it. If the lens is not brand new, then I don't think lens fungus would be covered. That is something that can happen to lenses over time, especially in moist or humid places.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Canon only warrants products sold in the USA which were imported by Canon for sale in the US.  "Gray market" products don't have a warranty UNLESS you bought the product while you were visiting another country -- and you may have to be able to produce proof of that (what they really get is an "international" warranty.  This covers you if you buy gear while traveling out of the country -- e.g. bought a new camera or lens while on vacation.)  

It's not even just the warranty... generally Canon wont even service it even if you are willing to pay for the service.

HOWEVER... many of the dealers who offer gray market products claim that THEY will provide the warranty so that you will not have to send the gear to Canon.  Call your dealer to inquire.

I personally just avoid gray market as it's not worth the hassle to have to worry if your gear can be serviced by Canon (whether under warranty or not) in exchange for the ability to save $25 on the sale.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello,

Sorry, I am new to this forum and to DSLR world.

I can see fungus in the lens (18-55 that was sold with camera) but not in the camera, so maybe because fungus just started it has not spead yet ?

I didn't buy it abroad to save, as you said I bought it abroad when I was there for months and it was easier than buying from US and pay tax.

It does not seem too difficult to open a lens and clean it, so a local shop / camera repair shop should be able to do it for cheaper than Canon ?

Thank you again for all.

Canon USA is not going to touch it. Not even for cost. I have heard of some rare exemptions but again I emphasize rare.

But, there are several camera shops that will repair your camera or lens.

If none in your area Google "DSLR repair" and you will see many.

I don't buy grey market because I have a great relationship with CPS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements