cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full auto mode=black screen. M mode=bad pic; only works on highest ISO setting

kristy_kurd
Apprentice

I usually use the full auto mode on my camera and it worked great.  A few days ago, I used the M mode to take some shots of my son's birthday and everything worked great.  The next day, I went to use the full auto setting to take some pics outside and the picture was black.  The flash won't raise in full auto mode.  When I use M mode, the only way I get  a picture is if I use the highest ISO (6400) and even then, the picture isn't great.  I tried resetting to default thinking that would work, with no luck.  Please help!  I spent a lot of money on this camera and don't understand why it all of a sudden stopped working.

9 REPLIES 9

What camera? And have you charged the battery since the birthday party?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry, it's a Rebel T3.  I had charged the battery overnight right before the party and haven't since then.  It holds a really good charge and I rarely have to charge it.

hsbn
Whiz

In order to get good photo in M mode, you'll have to learn how the camera operates and the concept of exposure. Adjusting ISO is just part of the equation. You'll need to adjust the Shutter Speed and Aperture also. M mode is Manual Mode, that mean you will have to set everything.

You said Black screen on auto mode, so I assume you are talking about Live View. Make sure to turn on LiveView. By default the camera will use the viewfinder. Let us know your camera model, so we can better assist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I understand the manual settings, I adjusted many times and it kept showing up black.  Like I said, I usually use the full auto mode (NOT the LIve View, the Full auto that sets everything itself; the green square on the mode dial).  The day I used Manual mode, I was just playing around with it and the settings worked perfectly.  I actually do remember switiching back to Full Auto to take the pics of my son's birthday because I didn't want to miss a shot because I'm not a pro at the manual settings.  The next day, I took the camera out to take some pics outside and it kept showing up black.  After playing around with it for a while, I could only get a picture to show up if I set the ISO to the highest setting.  Usually I can use the meter to adjust the pic but the....line I guess you could call it, that moves when you use the main dial never showed up.  I tried setting the camera back to the default settings and that didn't work either.  When I'm in Full Auto, usually the flash will come up automatically if needed and now it won't come on no matter what type of lighting I'm in.

ScottyP
Authority
Exactly. In Manual mode your shots may be solid black or white if your exposure combination is 3 or more stops off one way or the other. Try starting with AV mode (aperture priority mode) or TV (shutter priority mode) before moving on to Manual mode. In those modes you only have to set one of the variables (aperture or shutter speed) and the camera manipulates the remaining variables to give you a correct exposure. Google videos on the exposure triangle and on Av and Tv mode. There are dozens and dozens of good free tutorials by both pros and amateurs to help. Also I recommend buying Bryan Petersen's excellent and easily understood "Understanding Exposure".

And if we are talking about a camera with a viewfinder you really should be using that instead of the LCD "live view" anyway while handholding. Bracing it against your face with your elbows braced against your body is so much steadier than holding it out at arms length like a phone camera. PLUS the camera focuses much much slower in live view (using the LCD) than it does using the eyepiece because in live view the mirror is flipped up for video and so it is having to focus in a different way than normal.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Guys the OP stated, "I tried resetting to default thinking that would work, with no luck"

My question is are you sure you reset it?  Sometimes it is not as easy as it may seem.  Remove the battery(s) for a while, over night would be good.

Than do all the obivious, a new SD card or at least newly formated one, a new fully charged battery and a check to see if the charger itself is working properly.

When you don't know what is wrong, you must return to the basics.  After this go outside on a sunny day with the camera in an auto mode (green square?) and shoot some shots.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you.  I will try that.  

ScottyP
Authority
If in manual you get black until you crank ISO sensitivity to 6400 and see something, what is the shutter speed set to? And what aperture? High ISO will give awful awful image quality. Much better to pick up the needed stops of additional light by slowing the shutter and widening the aperture to a lower f/number.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thenames_lizzie
Apprentice
I have the same problem but with digital pin hole photography , it would take the picture but the whole screen would go black then the red light would come on , then the shutter goes off as if it has only taken the picture, this is very annoying because it about a hour to tak a few pictures considering it should of only
Taken about half a hour
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements