cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For my T2i, which is better for still and video: SDHC or SDXC?

jkleco
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

Either one will be fine.  Just get a card with a speed rating of class 10/UHS-1. 

Technically a class 4 or 6 should be fine for video on a T2i, but now a days most cards are rated to at least 10/UHS-1.   So you might as well get one, there's not much a price difference anymore.  The expensive cards now go well beyong the minimum requirements for Class 10 (even though the rating doesn't change), advertising 300X or 600X, or so many MB/s.  The difference, if any, is only seen on really fast cameras shooting stills, that can do like 7+ fps of RAW images.  You won't notice the difference with video, or even RAW stills as fast as the T2i can shoot them.

Good info.  Thanks.

You beat me to it.  I edited it a bit, to make it more clear, but I think you got the point.

I do recommend getting a decent brand card.  I have no data to prove that they're more reliable, but the cost difference isn't much more than a cup of coffee or two these days.  It's a small price to pay to not lose images.  I've had zero issues with my SanDisc Ultra and Extreme cards, and my Lexar pro.  I'm sure their slightly cheaper models would work as good, but again, a few extra dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of my photography costs, so I don't worry about it much.

I went with the SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDU-064G-AFFP (Label May Change) SanDisk Ultra 64GB SDXC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDU-064G-AFFP (Label May Change). $42 on Amazon.

Great choice.  I have many of the "Ultra" model, probably the best bang for the buck if you don't need super fast write speeds.

Announcements