cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focusing question

gennyb
Apprentice

A few weeks ago, I got my first nice camera - the Rebel T6. I've been able to figure out a lot, but there's one thing I can't quite figure out.

When I go to take a photo, the camera tries to focus on the subject (this is expected) and on the LCD screen, I see the image brighten (and look great) while this is happening, but once the subject is in focus, the image on the LCD screen gets dark - not unreasonably so but enough that there would have to be some correction to the brightness if I took the photo.

What am I doing wrong or not thinking about? I've tried adjusting brightness, white balance, etc. Adjusting brightness helped the final image slightly, but the problem is still occuring while taking the photo. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the LCD display screen. 

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First thing, you should use your DSLR like DSLR, instead of cell phone.  Use the viewfinder, instead of Live View.  The viewfinder has a separate, more sensitive and accurate focusing system.

As for as what is happening when you use Live View, why does it seem to darken, go ahead and take the photo.  You can download the FULL instruction manual from Canon Support,  It will explain what Exposure Simulation mode does.

Again, the simplest thing to do is to use the viewfinder.  When most professionals use Live View, they are using a tripod and manually focusing their lenses, instead of relying on the Live View AF system with the camera handheld. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The LCD has "exposure sim" which is supposed to look like the final image, but it gets fooled sometimes. You *cannot* use the LCD screen to determine exposure. As you know it is too easy to brighten it or darken it.

Take the picture and judge the exposure by your computer, assuming you are decently calibrated. You can also use the histogram on the LCD.

Announcements