cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problems with Rebel T3i. It won't focus manually nor autofocus. Problem is camera not lense

slaclau
Apprentice

My camera won't focus. Not just the autofocus. I can't get it to focus even if I focus manually.

Image remains always out of focus. 

First I thought it was the lense I had on but I tried with several and the problem is the same.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have you checked the diopter dial on the viewfinder?  The fact it won't look sharp even on manual focus, and that it happens with all your lenses makes me think it is possible the little tiny dial right there on the eyepiece has gotten turned accidentally. That dial controls what you see in the viewfinder, not anything to do with focusing the lens. The diopter is adjustable so people who need glasses can see things in focus thru the viewfinder.  If everything still looks blurry even when the camera thinks it is focused it is usually just that little diopter dial has gotten bumped accidentally. 

Ifit is not this, then maybe your focus screen has gotten shifted.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@slaclau wrote:

My camera won't focus. Not just the autofocus. I can't get it to focus even if I focus manually.

Image remains always out of focus. 

First I thought it was the lense I had on but I tried with several and the problem is the same.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks

I assume that you have checked and verified the AF/MF switch on the lenses.  Set the camera shooting mode dial to the Green Square, and see if the behavior, or lack thereof, continues.  This shooting mode should override most accidental changes.

If the problem continues, then i suggest you consult your manual on resetting the camera.  In particular, check the following setting, which has a default setting of "0".

T3i_BackButtonFocus_Setting.PNG

These settilngs change the behavior of the shutter button so that it no longer engages auto focus when pressed, and moves the auto focus engagement to the AE Lock button.  Try pressing this button before you make changes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Have you checked the diopter dial on the viewfinder?  The fact it won't look sharp even on manual focus, and that it happens with all your lenses makes me think it is possible the little tiny dial right there on the eyepiece has gotten turned accidentally. That dial controls what you see in the viewfinder, not anything to do with focusing the lens. The diopter is adjustable so people who need glasses can see things in focus thru the viewfinder.  If everything still looks blurry even when the camera thinks it is focused it is usually just that little diopter dial has gotten bumped accidentally. 

Ifit is not this, then maybe your focus screen has gotten shifted.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Yes, it was the diopter dial! I discovered it last night after trying Waddizzle's 

And hey, it's good news for everyone's longevity in the hobby. If your eyesight starts to go the camera can make up for it.  There are even higher power diopter you can employ if your eyesight correction needs ever exceed the range of the factory diopter adjuster.

Scott

So glad I found this post and your reply.  Life savers!  Been having the same issue for a while and have only been able to take pictures by focusing on the LCD screen itself and not the view finder. 

Problem solved.  🙂

Thank you much. Problem solved. The problem was with my feeble memory, lol. I long ago had set the camera(s) with C.Fn menu to lock focus with * button and half press shutter button for exposure.

Thank you very much. Problem solved. The problem was with my feeble memory, lol. I long ago had set the camera(s) with C.Fn menu to lock focus with * button and half press shutter button for exposure.

Avnishksharma
Apprentice
Thank you.. i was struggling with my camera since morning for blur picture... This solve the proble in 1 minute.. thank you so much
Announcements