cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus issues with rebel Ti

joew55
Contributor

I just returned from a trip to South Dakota where I was taking a ton of outdoor photos and my autofocus starting going crazy on me.  I would attempt to take a shot from close in, far away, still shot, action, low light, lots of light and the camera would often churn and whirl in an attempt to focus on the subject, but would not be succesful for several seconds.  I had this issue with more than just one lens too.  I would zoom in and out and attempt to refocus on the subject and eventually it would successfully lock into the picture.  This was a pain and prevented me from getting my picture a few times (moving bison, for example).  This issue started happening some a few months ago, but was at its worse this past week.  Any ideas??

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lenses?

If it happens with multiple lenses it sounds like the camera. What focus mode are you in?

Does it happen in one shot AF with the center point the only active point?

I am in automatic focus.  both my standard lens (18-55) and zoom lens (75-300) have the issue.  Also  there was a typo in my previous post.  It is a T-3  not a Ti...(EOS 1100D).

There are at least 3 autofocus modes, and the settings for the focus point. Which are you using.

joew55
Contributor
I am not really sure which mode I am using. How can I tell?

Untitled.jpg

joew55
Contributor
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I am in “one shot” mode

@joew55 wrote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I am in “one shot” mode

There are other factors to consider, too, like AF points.  

Set the camera to the Green [A] mode, go outside on a sunny day, and take some photos.  Does the issue persist?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am reading your posts, and can I ask a question?

My problem is the same as yours, my focusing problem started soon after taking several outdoor pictures and I cleaned my camera.  It seems the autofocus sometimes works when taking a picture of something very bright.  Works slightly better through the live screen display, but rarely if ever through the view finder.  I have tried to update software on the camera, tried different lenses, it seems the problem is with the camera body.  I have cleaned the connectors also.  Any help would be great.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It seems that your cleaning has damaged it. It is time for a replacement.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements