cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus issue with action shot

jcreative
Apprentice

Hi everyone. We are having an ongoing issue with photographing running dogs. Almost every time, even with high shutter speed and in AI servo mode, the face of the dog is not in focus. We are focusing on the face, but it appears that the camera/lens is not locking on the face because, as you can see from this example, the tail is in focus, and the face isn't - leading me to believe the camera is not tracking the face. Can you also let us know which focus mode we should be in?  

Canon T3i, stock 55-250 lens

Please help 🙂  Thank you

IMG_9617.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera and lens?

Sorry - t3i and the 55-250 lens that came with it

That rules out micro-focus adjust.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you putting center focus point on face and giving camera about ½ second with shutter depressed halfway to "do the math"?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tend to agree with the above technique. AI Servo needs to be tracking for a bit in order to calculate where the AF thinks the target will be by the time the shutter does it's job.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Something running towards you is hard for the autofocus to deal with.  T3i also does not have terribly sophisticated autofocus.  Try dogs running perpendicular to you, and practice panning.  Holding the button halfway to let the AI servo autofocus work on it is good too. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Can't the T3i do back button focus, and lock focus onto a subject until you press the shutter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Something running towards you is hard for the autofocus to deal with."

This is the problem.

This is the answer.

Put the,  "... center focus point on face and giving camera about ½ second with shutter depressed halfway"

Plus, I would use just the center focus point.  Turn all the others off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements