cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash not working

LisaG
Apprentice

I recently was attempting to take a picture with my flash.  As I pressed the button, the flash popped really loud (like a firecracker).  Now the flash will pop up, but not light up.  It keeps saying "busy" but will eventually take the picture - just not with the flash.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi LisaG!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model flash and camera you're using. Any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

The camera model is EOS Rebel T3i. 

I would go buy a 430 EX II.  It is 100 times better than the dinky flash that comes with a T3i and you won't have a repair bill.

Win, win!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would go buy a 430 EX II.  It is 100 times better than the dinky flash that comes with a T3i and you won't have a repair bill.

Win, win!

The dinkiness of the internal flash isn't the only problem. Lenses have gotten so big that it's hard to find one that won't cast a shadow in the FOV unless you have more separation between the lens and the flash than an internal flash gives you. I once ruined some very good pictures in an important shoot because I overlooked that fact. I had been asked to take pictures of the decorations in the hall before an event, and I used the internal flash to save the batteries in my speedlight for the event itself. Now I just carry more batteries.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Win, win!

The dinkiness of the internal flash isn't the only problem. Lenses have gotten so big that it's hard to find one that won't cast a shadow in the FOV unless you have more separation between the lens and the flash than an internal flash gives you. .

And, if you did get past the interference between the flash and the lens hood, then the dinkiness will become the problem.  That, and the fact it's coming from more or less the same axis as the lens.

"Now I just carry more batteries."

I say, +1 Smiley Very Happy, to that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@LisaG wrote:

I recently was attempting to take a picture with my flash.  As I pressed the button, the flash popped really loud (like a firecracker).  Now the flash will pop up, but not light up.  It keeps saying "busy" but will eventually take the picture - just not with the flash.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Your course of action is obvious: send the camera in for repair. If the flash pops like a firecracker, it means that the flash tube has blown out and must be replaced. Since it's the built-in flash, at least you don't have to worry about bad batteries in an external flash unit being the cause of the failure.

Or you can stop using the internal flash and get an external flash unit. External flashes are usually better, which is why manufacturers routinely fail to provide built-in flashes for their high-end cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements