cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash not Firing

ange6465
Contributor

My rebel will take a picture no problem but when I go to use the flash sometimes it won't fire and I can't figure out how to get it to fire

9 REPLIES 9

diverhank
Authority

You will only get the built-in flash to fire reliably in P, Tv, Av and M modes when you pop it up.  In the automatic modes, the flash will be used when the camera thinks you need it.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I am in Manual Mode all the time but it won't fire even in AV TV P I have it popped up as it won't just pop up on its own I have to manually do that 

It only pops up automatically when not in P, Av, Tv or M modes. You have to manually pop it up for those. One of the reasons I use the P mode.

I want to use m mode I know it doesn't automatically pop up I have it popped up it still don't fire and the settings are right I have had the camera for over 6 years now the problem is not know my camera or settings or what mode I am in the problem I have it popped up manually by pushing the button and I am indoors in low light which needs flash other wise the picture doesn't look right and you need that extra boost from the flash for light 

Which rebel?

Do you have it manually set for a low flash power?

I have the T3I  

No I don't think so but it usually fires when ever I pop it up with no problems and now it just won't flash and I know it was something I pushed but when I did that over again it didn't fix it 

@ange6465 wrote:

I have the T3I  

No I don't think so but it usually fires when ever I pop it up with no problems and now it just won't flash and I know it was something I pushed but when I did that over again it didn't fix it 

Either the built-in flash bulb has burnt out or you might have had the flash turned off inadvertently...

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I am having a hard time getting in the Flash firing menu when I press set butten it takes me in Flash Comp.

Tim
Authority

Hello ange6465, 

If you press the Menu button, go into the Camera Settings menu (first heading, looks like a camera) and select Flash Control.  This will give you the same set of options.  You want to make sure FLash Firing is set to Enable.  Then check the Built-in flash func. settings heading and make sure that everything looks squared away in this menu as well.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements