cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash is out of control. Too Bright. Washes out all photos.

dolphinnc-17
Contributor

Bought a refurbed EOS T2i and the flash is too strong and washes out photos.  Can't override.

Any options?  I'm ready to return it.  

18 REPLIES 18

cicopo
Elite

There are several options but without knowing your specific settings & the environment you're shooting all I can do is tell you what to read up on.

FEC, Flash Exposure Compensation, which allows you to add or subtract from the standard exposure.

ISO, you might be set to an ISO that's too high for the situation.

Flash Sync Speed. You can select speeds other than the good old standard of 1/60 sec. Different bodies have different maximums but most allow settings from 1/30 to 1/200 sec. 

Try them individually & check your results, & mix them together for even more variety of results.

Also note that IF you've set the camera to Av mode & have set it to the maximum aperture the lens goes to (wide open) try setting it to smaller (higher f number) openings.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I just tried all of your good suggestions.   Good practice but can't seem to removed the 'washed out' overexposed flash from shots closer than 8'-10'.   Your guidance has been helpful in navigating the features.  Yes, I'm learning, dammit!   Thanks for the reminder.  Now to mess with it.  This lens worked fine on my T1i and previous models so I don't think it is that. Any other suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks again.  The manual is traveling with me tomorrow!

If I'm reading this correctly you are using AUTO mode. In my experience it makes terrible decisions compared to PROGRAM mode so try that first & see how the 2 compare. I just tried downloading the manual but for some reason it's showing up as blank pages but I'll try again from a different site, but the specs say you have +/- 5 stops of EC available & +/- 2 stops of Flash Exposure Compensation which is the one you need to play with now, but you may be able to combine BOTH (worth trying too). Another thing to try is the different metering modes & lower ISO's. It's not very often that we complain about to much power from the built in flash so I suspect it's just a matter of hitting the right settings.

Also until I download a manual check what speeds you can use while using flash. Many Canon bodies can use up to 1/200 which will cut the light way down compared to 1/30 sec.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

OK, I've downloaded the manual from the US site & AUTO mode is even worse than I expected. You have no real control of the shot in AUTO. Things to read were on Pg 61, & 88 (Auto Lighting Optimizer note) but more importantly read vertically down the lists of what can be changed in AUTO & PROGRAM modes in the charts on pages 210 & 211. If I'm reading that chart right you CAN'T change Ec or FEC or the Sync speed or the ISO.

Thanks for staying with me on this one.  Yes, it is difficult.  I have always had adequate results wtih AUTO on my other camera's and for pedestrian use, it has been fine.  I'll try adjusting through the other suggestions you mentioned.  My 'in flight' homework.  I'll share my findings.  I'd like to get it to work in SOME mode!

Try changinging metering to spot metering so it exposes for the subject and not the average brightness of whole scene.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

According to the manual the camera sets all of these things in AUTO mode & they can NOT be changed or fine tuned by the user.

AUTO ISO, Standard Picture Style, Auto White Balance, Auto Lighting Optimizer, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, AI Focus, Auto AF Point Selection, AF Assist beam, Evaluative Metering, Single Shot, Auto Flash & sRGB color space.

The USER has the option to select the file size (or quality), red eye reduction on or off, timer, live view and Periferal Illumination Correction. 

In PROGRAM mode the user can adjust just about every thing the camera can do.

Also from what I'm reading I'd say that also applies to using a flash mounted to the hot shoe.

Please get out of Auto.

There is a free 3- minute video tutorial on any camera subject on Google Videos.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

ScottyP
Authority

Are you talking about the built-in flash, or a speedlite flash?

Does it do this in "green Square" Program mode, or only in something like Manual or TV or AV?

Does it shoot OK without the flash?

Scott

Announcements