cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash is out of control. Too Bright. Washes out all photos.

dolphinnc-17
Contributor

Bought a refurbed EOS T2i and the flash is too strong and washes out photos.  Can't override.

Any options?  I'm ready to return it.  

18 REPLIES 18

Green/full auto is always washes out the shot,  with pop-up flash.   No flash is OK.

This occurs in any other photo mode as well.

I use a 28-135mm lens (3.5-5.6 IS).

In Green/Full Auto Mode ISO is set to Auto.

I am not sure what you meant in this last posting. 

Can you check to see what ISO setting you have on?  If it were on something crazy-high, that could be the problem.

Are you sure you don't have flash exposure compensation dialed up to +3 or something?

Have you tried going into the menu and wiping out all user settings and returning to default?  Sometimes you have set something weird by accident and the only way to undo it is to return everything to default.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I think that he/she's saying that they worked several hours to earn the money to buy it but only the minimum of time needed to learn how to use it in the auto mode. Unfortunately buying an expensive camera isn't the path to great photos UNLESS you learn how to use it to it's maximum potential. One very important part of that requires reading & UNDERSTANDING the manual. If you don't understand something DON'T pretend you do or dismiss it as unimportant & ASK ABOUT IT. None of us were born knowing it all, and with camera technology changing so fast it's not easy just staying up to date in our minds. I've already pointed out several variables that can be adjusted & they NEED to be learned well enough to become an instantanous reaction to a bad photo.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I appreciate your direction to various considerations.  I was unable to find the adjustments by fiddling with the menu controls on the camera.  No question that manual study will be required to implement your suggestions. 

I'm not sure who you are directing the 'read the manual' comments.   It is true that this is my first time using a Canon user forum.  Did I offend you by missing some 'courtesy response' that I am unaware?  If so, I apologize for not knowing the protocols at this site.   Not sure what occurred that caused you to feel the need to 'school me'.  

FYI:  I've been with Canon for 25 years and prior to that 10 years of SLR manual film processing and darkroom work.  I took photography courses in college.  Not unaware of the nuances of manual settings.  Exposure, composition and manipulating the film plane are familiar.   I don't consider myself a 'lazy beginner'.  I've had 5 Canon EOS digital SLR's and 3 film based ones over that time.   I switched to Canon from Olympus and Nikon because I liked what the technology offered.

I've never been stumped like this before and never not had a camera work out of the box.  My attempt in reaching out is to try and ascertain whether I have a repair/return issue or if there is something I'm missing.  

You have pointed out several things for me to look at.  I appreciate your efforts to steer me in the proper direction.  I'm committed to figuring it out.   Perhaps you've labeled me an arrogant beginner.   I guess regarding troubleshooting at this level, I may be.   Back to the manual cicopro.

I'm sorry about that but your original message & your first response made me feel you didn't think the manual was worth reading. I've progressed through several of the same steps you have including several years of darkroom time in my home. I moved from a pair of A 1's to the 20D as soon as it was available & have been through several more Canon DSLR's along the way. I always download the manuals & study up on all the features & controls before buying & I continue reading the manuals well after thinking I know what every control or personal function does, & I'm still learning. Today's cameraas, even the P & S ones are very complex until you get a handle on the important settings. Having the ability to see the shot just after taking it is just so helpful compared to film that it needs to become second nature as to how to make any exposure corrections quickly to get a better shot. How to change  EC, FEC & ISO quickly is at the top of my list  of things to learn on any new body I  buy & they are what I try to teach others to learn as first steps in the move to digital.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

HI,

Page 88 or your manual has Flash Exposure Compensation.

Page 144 of your manual has "Clear Settings".

I would try "Clear Settings" first. 

Hit the "Menu" button. 

Tab across to the 2nd to the last menu screen.  (The wrench next to the star). 

Tab down to "Clear Settings" and hit the "set" button. 

Hit "set" again with the "clear all camera settings" line selected. 

Then hit "OK" when it asks  you to confirm that is what you want to do. 

That should reset any weird setting you might have accidentally activated.  See if that helps.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Very Specific, thanks.  I cleared and reset all settings. Then I turned Exposure Compensation to -2.  It was at zero.

My test photos in full auto mode, still are washed out.  Will keep adjusting. Any other ideas?

Thanks for directing me so specifically.  I did all of those things but it didn't seem to resolve it. 

Not sure what to do next.  I'll keep reading and hoping.

Much Thanks.  You are correct in I have more study to do.  AND I appreciate the coaching.  This hasn't behaved like I have seen before.  I want to gather all my resources so I play with it on the transcontinental flight.  Five hours of semi-uninterupted study.  Thanks Teacher!!!

Announcements