cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall setting changes needed to pair EOS Rebel SL2 to a laptop

ldarango
Contributor

When I try to pair my EOS Rebel SL2 with my laptop via the Canon EOS Utility, I get a message saying that "To connect to the camera via LAN, some Windows Firewall settings must be changed."

I called Canon technical support to find out exactly what Firewall settings need to be changed, and they could not help. They directed me to this forum.

Does anyone know exactly what are the Windows Firewall changes that need to be made to pair/connect the camera to my laptop?

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ldarango wrote:

When I try to pair my EOS Rebel SL2 with my laptop via the Canon EOS Utility, I get a message saying that "To connect to the camera via LAN, some Windows Firewall settings must be changed."

I called Canon technical support to find out exactly what Firewall settings need to be changed, and they could not help. They directed me to this forum.

Does anyone know exactly what are the Windows Firewall changes that need to be made to pair/connect the camera to my laptop?

Thank you

I assume that for some reason the connection has to be wireless. Because if it doesn't, you're just making things more difficult than they need to be. A wired connection uses the USB protocol, which makes the camera look like a disk drive and bypasses the Windows Firewall altogether. Or you can use a USB card reader, which simplifies the process even more.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

Here are your steps

Firewall setting

Allow an app through the FW

Change settings button

Allow another app

Browse

Then navigate to EOS Utility Folder

Select the .exe you want to allow

Note: The one you need is likely in the EU2 or EU3 folder depending on which camera you are using.  Once its added to the last of allowed apps, you can check the boxes for the correct  Network type, Public, Private or Domain

You are probably private.  Don't worry if you make a mistake, all of these changes can be removed or modified at will.

FW1.png

FW2.pngFW3.pngFW4.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@ldarango wrote:

Thank you

I assume that for some reason the connection has to be wireless. Because if it doesn't, you're just making things more difficult than they need to be. A wired connection uses the USB protocol, which makes the camera look like a disk drive and bypasses the Windows Firewall altogether. Or you can use a USB card reader, which simplifies the process even more.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you, Bob.

The connection does not have to be wireless (Wi-Fi), since the primary reason for the connection is to get access to the pictures. I understand that access can also be obtained via USB and SD card reader.

However, the camera is promoted to have connection via Wi-Fi and I wanted to take advantage and explore its capabilities via the EOS Utility application.

Lou 

Lou,

I use ethernet for my 1DX bodies but for WiFi you are going to need to go into Win 10 settings, choose windows security and then firewall and network protection.  That will pop up a new window and one of the options in this window allows you to choose which apps can get through the firewall  and you will need to give access to whatever Canon app is being used to connect via wifi.

I am using Win 10 64 bit pro on my machines but I suspect home edition has the same sequence for firewall configuration.

You will need to be signed in as an administrator to make these changes.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Here are your steps

Firewall setting

Allow an app through the FW

Change settings button

Allow another app

Browse

Then navigate to EOS Utility Folder

Select the .exe you want to allow

Note: The one you need is likely in the EU2 or EU3 folder depending on which camera you are using.  Once its added to the last of allowed apps, you can check the boxes for the correct  Network type, Public, Private or Domain

You are probably private.  Don't worry if you make a mistake, all of these changes can be removed or modified at will.

FW1.png

FW2.pngFW3.pngFW4.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick, for the details. I'll try when I get a moment.

The program that needs to be allowed for my camera is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOSUPNPSV.exe

I'm good for now. Thanks to all for your help!

Lou

Thanks Rodger, this makes sense.

Announcements