cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash for Rebel T6

Doc-Westin
Apprentice

I just bought a brand new Rebel T6. I was wondering if I can use a Sunpak Auto 221 external flash unit I used for my Canon 35 mm SLR (film). The external flash can be operated in both auto and manual modes. I know not all external flashes used for film SLRs are compatible with DSLRs. Just wondering if I can use it and save a few bucks, or just buy a SpeedLite external flash. I do have the instruction booklet that came with the unit.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Quiet
Enthusiast

Doc, your T6 does have the universal contact for generic flashes.

The T7 and SL3 (and possibly others) produced after the T6 are missing it. Interestingly, Amazon's junk bundle of cheap accessories that they like to package with cameras has a T7 package with a weensy dumb flash that looks straight out of the '70s:

(Linked removed as per Forum Guidelines) 

I doubt it occurred to them to see if it actually works on the T7   🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't think so, lower end Canons don't have the center flash contact that works with older flashes.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I don't think so, lower end Canons don't have the center flash contact that works with older flashes.

Check the product images at B&H.  I know my old T5 had the connection.  Omitting the contact is a more recent change.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is directed more at those answering the query than at the OP himself.

There's been a fair amount of discussion lately about the omission of that contact from the hot shoe. And I seem to recall some discussion a few years ago about the fact that some very old flashes operate at a high voltage that can damage a modern camera. Are those two topics related in any way? I.e., is it possible that the omission of the contact is intended as a protection of the camera from those old flash units?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Most of the discussion seems to be from one poster who seems to be particularly bothered by it. 8^)

Only the engineers know for sure, but cameras have been designed to withstand the higher voltage for a long time, though. The higher voltage semiconductors required might be slightly more expensive, but not much. I think it is more "How many entry level photographers will have old finicky flash units, as opposed to plug-n-play modern automatic ones?" And another way to differentiate "pro" gear.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...I can use a Sunpak Auto 221 external flash ..."

There is only one reason why you would want to use it.  It is cheap!  No other.  You need to get the proper up to date flash for your new up to date T6.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Quiet
Enthusiast

Doc, your T6 does have the universal contact for generic flashes.

The T7 and SL3 (and possibly others) produced after the T6 are missing it. Interestingly, Amazon's junk bundle of cheap accessories that they like to package with cameras has a T7 package with a weensy dumb flash that looks straight out of the '70s:

(Linked removed as per Forum Guidelines) 

I doubt it occurred to them to see if it actually works on the T7   🙂

I compared the universal contact on my 35 mm SLR and the T6. It seems the T6 has a better a contact. I did take a photo using the flash. It worked fine, didn't kill my T6 and didn't cause blown out highlights.

Thank you.

Announcements