Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: External Mic Doesn't Work on Rebel t5i

I have the Rebel T5i. Have external mic plugged in. Settings are at M. I hit menu button and go to icon of camera with 2 dots, as explained above to Rcasale42. There is nothing on menu for sound recording. Last one is Metering Mode. What else do I need to do to get to the Sound Recording on the menu? Thanks.
Product Expert

Hi Jhartwell2019,

Thank you for your message.

When you say that the settings are at M, do you mean that you are in the M mode on the mode dial? If not make sure that you move the dial to that or to P, TV, or AV. Certain options won't show up in the automatic modes.

Also, make sure that the ON/OFF switch is set to the movie camera icon. The movie options won't show up when the switch is just set to the ON position.

I hope that helps!

New Contributor

Hi, that didn't work. Whether dial is on M Av TV or P, when it hit Menu, none of them have anything about sound.
New Contributor

Ok, found sound recording. Now what?
New Contributor

Inserted microphone and talked. Viewed video and no sound. Is there a way to turn up volume on camera?
VIP

@Jhartwell2019 wrote:
Inserted microphone and talked. Viewed video and no sound. Is there a way to turn up volume on camera?

The playback volume menu is probably only available when the camera is in video mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."