cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Mic Doesn't Work on Rebel t5i

rcasale42
Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I have a Canon Rebel T5i and a Azen SMX-10 Stereo Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphone (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GE403I/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza)  The external mic is powered by an AAA battery, and is powered on and plugged into the 3.5 mm jack, but the camera seems to still be using the internal mic.  Any idea what the issue could be?

I would expect that if the mic wasn't working, then the camera would get no audio at all (I verified the mic works by using it with another device), so I suspect that the camera just isn't recognizing it.  Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks,

R

15 REPLIES 15

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Rcasale42,

Thanks for posting.

I'd take a look at the "Sound Recording" menu option at your camera. To do this, please turn your camera on, then press the MENU button. Now, navigate to the second Movie tab (Movie camera icon with 2 dots), then scroll down to "Sound recording" and press the SET button. If you're shooting in one of the "basic modes, such as "Auto", your this mode should be set to "Auto". In Creative modes, such as "P", "Tv" or "Av", it may also be set to "Manual". If this is the case, please ensure that the recording level is set sufficiently high to capture sound.

If your camera is already set to accept audio input from your microphone, I recommend checking with Azden to see if their  microphone is compatible with your camera. The impedance of the microphones that can be used with the camera is around 200 to 2K.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Where is the 3.5mm microphone jack on the T5i??? The only jack I can find is for the shutter release, and it's much smaller.

Should be right below it. The one labeled "Mic" 8^)

T5i.jpg

Thanks. Apparently mine's the T5, not the T5i, and apparently that one does not have a mic jack. So I'm screwed for using this camera to shoot video outdoors. 

Get a zoom recorder or equivalent and add the audio in post.

Thanks, but that's a pretty expensive work-around, plus another piece equipment to have to carry. I think I'll just have to sell off my T5 and get a T5i -- or something else more suited to shooting video. 

I have to say though, that's it's very disappointing that T5 doesn't have a mic port, and certainly NOT what I was expecting from a DSLR camera. 

Note you got an *entry level* DSLR. My XS did not even have video.

Video without decent audio is next to useless. Yeah, it's an "entry level" camera, but surely a microphone jack wouldn't break the bank. 

@raydunakin wrote:

Thanks, but that's a pretty expensive work-around, plus another piece equipment to have to carry. I think I'll just have to sell off my T5 and get a T5i -- or something else more suited to shooting video. 

I have to say though, that's it's very disappointing that T5 doesn't have a mic port, and certainly NOT what I was expecting from a DSLR camera. 

Free advice for everybody reading this forum: Never buy a camera without first reading the specs.

Even better (but more work): List the features that are important to you, and look them up in the owner's manual before you buy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements