cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Mic Doesn't Work on Rebel t5i

rcasale42
Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I have a Canon Rebel T5i and a Azen SMX-10 Stereo Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphone (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GE403I/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza)  The external mic is powered by an AAA battery, and is powered on and plugged into the 3.5 mm jack, but the camera seems to still be using the internal mic.  Any idea what the issue could be?

I would expect that if the mic wasn't working, then the camera would get no audio at all (I verified the mic works by using it with another device), so I suspect that the camera just isn't recognizing it.  Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks,

R

15 REPLIES 15

Jhartwell2019
Apprentice
I have the Rebel T5i. Have external mic plugged in. Settings are at M. I hit menu button and go to icon of camera with 2 dots, as explained above to Rcasale42. There is nothing on menu for sound recording. Last one is Metering Mode. What else do I need to do to get to the Sound Recording on the menu? Thanks.

Hi Jhartwell2019,

Thank you for your message.

When you say that the settings are at M, do you mean that you are in the M mode on the mode dial? If not make sure that you move the dial to that or to P, TV, or AV. Certain options won't show up in the automatic modes.

Also, make sure that the ON/OFF switch is set to the movie camera icon. The movie options won't show up when the switch is just set to the ON position.

I hope that helps!

Jhartwell2019
Apprentice
Hi, that didn't work. Whether dial is on M Av TV or P, when it hit Menu, none of them have anything about sound.

Jhartwell2019
Apprentice
Ok, found sound recording. Now what?

Jhartwell2019
Apprentice
Inserted microphone and talked. Viewed video and no sound. Is there a way to turn up volume on camera?

@Jhartwell2019 wrote:
Inserted microphone and talked. Viewed video and no sound. Is there a way to turn up volume on camera?

The playback volume menu is probably only available when the camera is in video mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements