cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i - What is Exp.SIM?

LeeMoff1
Apprentice

I have a RebelT3i. On the viewfinder screen, in any shooting mode, in the lower right, just above the battery status indicator, I get a flashing indicator "Exp.SIM". I have looked through the Owner's Manual and can't find out what this means. Any clue?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

Check page 126 of your user manual.  There's an explanation there.  Basically it's warning you what you see on Liveview is not what you will get in the picture when it's flashing.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Xanneriri
Apprentice
Hey guys i had same issue with my canon rebel T5 it showed in my camera at the lower right corner the word Exp sim.can you please help me how to remove this one?step by step pls. 🙂 thank you

Okaylook
Apprentice
Okay looki cleared the settings like one of you guys said but it still won't let me take the picture it just keeps refocusing and refocusing please help me I'm and absolutley and utterly lost right now I just got it today and I already read the manual.. please

OkayLook:

Start your own topic and answer some basic questions:

What camera?

What lens?

What exactly happens?

Are you farther than the closest focus distance for the lens?

Can you focus in live mode?

Can you manual focus

I have the same issues.... doesn't seem to matter the light situation or distance of object, happens with both lenses. Frustrating as I've got a new grandson and you only have so long to capture that precious look....

Then don't use live view. *everything* is faster when you use the viewfinder.

Mmb73165
Apprentice
Blinking exp sim means the display and the picture you take won't look the same. Most likely there is not enough light. The orange box means the camera can't focus. Sometimes it's due to lack of light or the lens can't focus because you are too close to subject. Just be aware that as s newbie, you're going to take a lot of bad pictures. The beauty is that you are not processing film and wasting a ton of money. You might keep a ledger of the settings used so you can start to see what and what doesn't work.

VoxSola
Apprentice
So, after years of using my T4i I've never seen this on my display (I use live view all the time) until my 2yo niece picks it up for 10 seconds, presses buttons, and now this feature is skewing up everything! LOL

The lighting senerio didn't effect ANYTHING. From a clear sunny day to a silhoette to shots in the moon light. Nada. Nothing.

My search lead me here and only the clear settings option worked. All of the explaining WHAT the feature is, was worthless. Completely worthless.

In any case, the reset worked and so did the internetz, I found a solution. Cheers.

Alyssa13
Apprentice
Can somebody tell me what exp Sim means on my EOS rebel t6i and is there any way to fix it.Also why is my camera blinking a orange-red light or is the exp Sim causing that.

@Alyssa13 wrote:
Can somebody tell me what exp Sim means on my EOS rebel t6i and is there any way to fix it.Also why is my camera blinking a orange-red light or is the exp Sim causing that.

Exp Sim ("exposure simulation") means that the camera is trying to show you the picture in its true brightness, rather than brightening it to a standard viewing level. The flashing is probably a "blown highlight" warning.

The camera's instruction manual undoubtedly does a better job of describing these features than I could.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If you are talking about the orange light on the front of the camera it is either the red-eye reduction or telling you that the delayed shutter is delaying.

Announcements