cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i - What is Exp.SIM?

LeeMoff1
Apprentice

I have a RebelT3i. On the viewfinder screen, in any shooting mode, in the lower right, just above the battery status indicator, I get a flashing indicator "Exp.SIM". I have looked through the Owner's Manual and can't find out what this means. Any clue?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

Check page 126 of your user manual.  There's an explanation there.  Basically it's warning you what you see on Liveview is not what you will get in the picture when it's flashing.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

diverhank
Authority

Check page 126 of your user manual.  There's an explanation there.  Basically it's warning you what you see on Liveview is not what you will get in the picture when it's flashing.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

How can I get the Exp.Sims to go off so I can take the photo as is or go on to another photo without having to reset everything?

Just ignore it, it does not affect the picture at all.

@Angelaoh wrote:

How can I get the Exp.Sims to go off so I can take the photo as is or go on to another photo without having to reset everything?

I suggest using the viewfinder, instead of using Live View and using the DSLR as if it were a cell phone camera.  Besides, extended use of Live View not only wears down your battery, it will also cause your image sensor to overheat with extended use.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Angelaoh wrote:

Go back and read all of the earlier posts in this thread and in the other thread to which you posted this question. They may throw some light(!) on the issue.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TGP
Apprentice
it means EXPOSURE SIMULATION.
If it is flashing actual view and live view differs. if it is steady in white it indicates as live view is as close as captured picture.

I just googled Exp SIM and it brought me here.  So I signed up.  I just got a Canon T5 Rebel and I have the same thing come up but when it does it won't focus or let me press the shutter control.  It keeps trying to focus going back and forth but never stops.  Is this normal.  I've watched a few vids on Youtube and I'm reading the book but I hope to learn alot of stuff right here from you folks.  Thanks for lettin me in....rimshot 

Hello rimshot!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

Exp. SIM stands for exposure simulation.  When it is displayed in white on the screen, it indicates the Live View image brightness is close to what the captured image will look like.  When it is blinking, the Live View image is being displayed at a different brightness from what the captured image will look like because of too low or bright lighting conditions.

While possibly related to your issue on some small level, I do not believe Exp. SIM has much to do with the issue you have.  You are experiencing a focusing issue that can happen due to a number of things.

1. What lighting conditions are you shooting in?
  2. What lens are you using?
  3. Does this happen with other lenses?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same issue with exp.SIM appearing on my screen. I have a EOS Rebel T5. I'm using 18-55mm IS Macro lens. I keep seeing on here about resetting the default settings. I went into my menu looking for this option. I could not find it and then I looked on the CD instruction manual. It was showing more options on the menu screen than I have. Please give me step by step ways to fix this.

Announcements