cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i - What is Exp.SIM?

LeeMoff1
Apprentice

I have a RebelT3i. On the viewfinder screen, in any shooting mode, in the lower right, just above the battery status indicator, I get a flashing indicator "Exp.SIM". I have looked through the Owner's Manual and can't find out what this means. Any clue?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

Check page 126 of your user manual.  There's an explanation there.  Basically it's warning you what you see on Liveview is not what you will get in the picture when it's flashing.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

@Caycee wrote:

I am having the same issue with exp.SIM appearing on my screen. I have a EOS Rebel T5. I'm using 18-55mm IS Macro lens. I keep seeing on here about resetting the default settings. I went into my menu looking for this option. I could not find it and then I looked on the CD instruction manual. It was showing more options on the menu screen than I have. Please give me step by step ways to fix this.

I think you're overcomplicating this. As has already been pointed out in this thread, the "exp.SIM" display is a side effect of there not being enough light for the autofocus mechanism to operate successfully. The cure is to provide more light, either by brightening the scene or in the form of an autofucus assist beam from a Canon flash unit. Resetting the camera to factory settings is both unnecessary and unlikely to cure the problem.

And yes, recent Canon printed manuals tend to be abbreviated. But the one on the CD should tell you what you need to know.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Very well said Bob.  In other words if the light meter in the camera cannot read the brightness of the scene, the autofocus is "null and void".  I had the same problem on my EOS M200  until I realized that the lens cap was still on!   LOL   A little too dark to get an exposure reading. ha,ha

This camera is probably much more camera than I will ever learn to use.  I am so untech. inclined but it was a gift.  How do I get the flashing white Exp.Sims to stop flashing?  I am indoors and it came on when I was outdoors.  I cannot get it to turn off.

@rimshot wrote:

I just googled Exp SIM and it brought me here.  So I signed up.  I just got a Canon T5 Rebel and I have the same thing come up but when it does it won't focus or let me press the shutter control.  It keeps trying to focus going back and forth but never stops.  Is this normal.  I've watched a few vids on Youtube and I'm reading the book but I hope to learn alot of stuff right here from you folks.  Thanks for lettin me in....rimshot 

Your problem appears to be that the scene is too dimly lit for the autofocus to do its job. As others have explained, the flashing Exp SIM display is merely confirming that the light level is low. A faster lens might help, because the maximum aperture of the lens determines how much light is available for autofocus. You might also try an external flash unit, The good ones can provide an "autofocus assist beam" (sometimes in visible light, sometimes in infra-red) to help the AF mechanism do its job. It's even conceivable that the built-in flash on your camera can be set to provide an AF assist beam; you'd have to check your manual to find out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the replies.  Here's what’s up.  I just tried to take a pic of my dog in her bed in the den at noon with the blinds opened.  No direct sunlight coming through the window, but not very dark.  Set the camera and lens to auto.  Depress the shutter half way and the focus goes in and out then stops and the center square turns kind of orange and the shutter release doesn't work. Turn around and focus on a vase and the flash pops up and it works.  Not very much brighter either.  I did set the camera and lens to manual and was able to get the shot of the dog.  I’m brand new to photography so I started with the Canon EOS Digital Rebel T5 18MP SLR Digital Camera and EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit.  I did put the external flash on it and tried the same shot in auto from about 8’ away the whole frame was white.  Too much flash.  I am so far unable to find help for this in any manual or YouTube vid but will keep looking.  I do though thank you very much for your help and hope we can resolve this.  Thanks again…..Bill/rimshot

Here's what I did when I had the issue with my T4i recently (and it worked)!
Go to your menu settings and find the "clear settings" option. On the T4i it is located on wrench symbol #4. Hit clear settings to reset your camera to factory settings. The reason I did this, was to clear the camera of any potential settings I may have inadvertently set while I was experimenting with the camera. After this, try taking the pic in "AV" mode instead of auto focus mode. When you set your camera to AV mode, set your aperture (F-stop) to the fastest setting possible. I believe it is (F 4.5) on the 18-55 kit lens then raise your ISO to 800 or even 1600. In AV mode, the camera will then choose your shutter speed and you will have no need for a flash.
If you're not familiar with the semi-auto modes (such as AV and PV) it may be to your advantage to become familiar with theses camera settings. You will enjoy the range of options theses settings allow you.

Thanks for the help. I will re-set it since I've hit every button on it.  I am playing around with those settings now and I'm kinda gettin it.  I also zoomed out from what I was taking the shot of and it seemed to work in auto.  Do you know what it means when the square you see on the screen turns kind of orange?  Thanks again...Bill 

Did you get this issue resolved? I have a similar problem

@aileen wrote:

Did you get this issue resolved? I have a similar problem

I strongly suggest that  you start a new thread of your own.  When taken at face value, your above comment is pretty vague.

[ EDIT ]  BTW, the green check mark means a solution was found for the original issue, because only the original person who started the thread can create the green check mark.  In other words, I suggest that you read the through the thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks! Will do! New here to canonCommunity!

Announcements