cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when downloading photos

Pau12345
Apprentice
Hi,
I’m currently trying to download the photos from my EOS Rebel camera through the WiFi function. However, once the camera is connected to my iPhone the majority of the pictures, which are viewable from the camera, appear as question marks on the iPhone and can’t be downloaded. I have tried to download the pictures from various different iPhones, and the same photos (more than 2/3 of the total photos) appear as question marks. Any ideas of how I could download these photos or if they are lost?
4 REPLIES 4

Use a card reader or a wired connection. WiFi really isn't a particularly good method of downloading pictures and should, IMO, be used only when there's no feasible alternative.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Some Canon bodies have a viewable images filter under the menu settings for WiFi transfer to phone.  Depending upon this setting, only images taken within a specific time period or with a specific rating (if you use the rating system during review) will be viewable on the smartphone.  Check your camera manual and menu setting.

I am not sure which camera body and card type you have.  You can use a card reader instead of WiFi transfer which is simpler and more reliable HOWEVER if you have CF cards instead of SD cards be careful because the CF pin connector isn't exactly robust to put it kindly.  If your camera uses CF cards, be very careful to smoothly insert it to avoid bending a pin in the camera connector and only use good quality cards from a known source (preferably BH, Adorama, or similar) because some of the biggest ecommerce retailers often sell counterfeit cards which aren't manufactured as precisely and greatly increase the odds of connector damage.  

With CF cards, I would stick with WiFi transfer.  My 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies use CF cards and I use the ethernet port on these bodies for file transfer because the pro bodies don't have built in WiFi.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

HOWEVER if you have CF cards instead of SD cards be careful because the CF pin connector isn't exactly robust to put it kindly.  If your camera uses CF cards, be very careful to smoothly insert it to avoid bending a pin in the camera connector and only use good quality cards from a known source (preferably BH, Adorama, or similar) because some of the biggest ecommerce retailers often sell counterfeit cards which aren't manufactured as precisely and greatly increase the odds of connector damage.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is also important not to use a cheap CF card reader, these usually have poorly made connectors which can distort the connectors within the card and a card with a damaged socket can then cause damage to the camera pins.

By using good cards in a good card reader I have been using CF cards for about the last 10 years and have never had a problem.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@wq9nsc wrote:

HOWEVER if you have CF cards instead of SD cards be careful because the CF pin connector isn't exactly robust to put it kindly.  If your camera uses CF cards, be very careful to smoothly insert it to avoid bending a pin in the camera connector and only use good quality cards from a known source (preferably BH, Adorama, or similar) because some of the biggest ecommerce retailers often sell counterfeit cards which aren't manufactured as precisely and greatly increase the odds of connector damage.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is also important not to use a cheap CF card reader, these usually have poorly made connectors which can distort the connectors within the card and a card with a damaged socket can then cause damage to the camera pins.

By using good cards in a good card reader I have been using CF cards for about the last 10 years and have never had a problem.

I agree with Ray. Truthfully, the only time I've seen a camera with bent CF pins was when I repaired a 20D for a colleague at work whose wife had inadvertently tried to force a card in upside-down.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements