cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error code 30 on brand new T3

MetalSqueak
Apprentice

I got my brand new T3 in the mail on February 11th. I turned it on, played with it, made sure it worked okay, and put it away. Three days later I took it out for the first time to start taking test shots and get used to the controls, as it's my first DSLR, and after taking a shot I get a screen that pops up saying "Error code 30" and it tells me to take the battery out and replace it or turn the camera on and off.

So I do this over and over, and every time I turn the camera off and back on it lets me take one picture then gives the error message. I write to Canon and I get an email back with suggestions to fix it, and instructions on how to send it in should it not work. At this point I have tried everything to fix it, and decide to just send it.

I set my camera aside for about a week after this waiting to ship it, and before I take it to FedEx I turn it on ONE MORE TIME to make sure, AND IT WORKS. No error message, it let me take about 200 pictures, had no issues whatsoever. So I'm thinking that maybe there was no issue or it was giving a false error.

A week after that I get it back out to test before going on a short vacation and it's ONCE AGAIN giving me an error message. This time, though, it's showing me the message and letting me press a button and the message goes away and I can continue shooting (still getting the message after every shot)  I have had this thing less than a month, and started getting the message after less than 50 pictures and only having turned it on two or three times.

Is there anything that I can do other than sending it in, and will it be covered under warranty since it was pretty much broke right out of the box? Any information on this subject would be extremely helpful. I'm lost!! Thanks in advance for any advice!

11 REPLIES 11

7D5D
Rising Star
First of all of would have returned it on day 3 for a new replacement. At this point, just send it in to Canon for repair unless you can still return it for a new replacement. The problem sounds intermittent and is not going away. Any specific advice from us on this forum would only be a guess since we don't have Camera in hand. Time for a repair or replacement.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MetalSqueak,

The "Err 30" error message means that an internal malfunction has occurred.  We recommend sending your camera in for evaluation and repair.

Warranty coverage is determined exclusively by the factory service center.  You may arrange a repair by clicking here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Bigtexun
Apprentice
My nearly unused 18-month-old T3 went unused for a year, and came up with this error when I tried to use it. I worked with it for two days hoping it would come back. It spent some time in a warm car at one point, and worked fine after that.

Don't mess with it, send it to Canon service.  There is nothing you can do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So you are suggesting that my working camera needs to be sent in for a $200 repair?

It is not likely to fix itself. The hot car did not fix it.  But you may as well wait until the problem shows up again.  

It could be bad (dirty) contacts or a battery going south.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skbrans
Apprentice

I've had this same problem with my Cannon t3.  On rare occasions it works until the battery needs charging.  After charging, I get the err30 after every single picture. Bought new batteries, cleaned the battery contacts....still get the same error. The warranty has expired now and I don't want to spend another dime on cannon products.  I saved up money to buy this piece of **bleep** and now I'm saving again for something better than a cannon.

I suggest you look at some of the other brand's forums. I bet you will find that every mfg ships its share of cameras with problems.

"Cannon" (sic) has among the best, if not the best, customer service in the industry.  If you have a problem under warranty they will work with you until the problem is resolved.  Any repair out of warranty will be charged for.

No camera brand is free of problems ... the issue is how they deal with it.  I have owned many cameras over the years, including Olympus, Nikon, Sony, and Canon.  I have also been lucky in that all have been reliable.  If you have problems, it's not fun ... but you just do what you have to do to get it taken care of.  Canon has a solid reputation and is certainly at least as good as anything else out there.

Announcements