cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err01 multiple lenses

taybeats502
Apprentice
Hey I have a canon rebel t7i, a canon 50 mm 1.8, canon 18-55 and a Samyang 14mm 2.8. Randomly last night I got the err 01 message while using the 50mm. The same thing happens with 18-55 mm. The Samyang works perfect I believe because it has the built in aperture ring. I’ve tried cleaning the contacts like the message and internet says but I haven’t tried with a actual cleaning cloth only lightly rubbing the contacts with my soft T-shirt. I’ve tried to put the lens on in manual focus focus with out creating direct contact with the pins or the click just to see if it would still focus and neither did. I kind of feel like the Samyang had something to do with the problem because everything worked fine until I got this lens with the built in aperture control. I just want find something out before I send it off. My clients are starting to pick up and those different angles are crucial at least with the 50 mm and the 14mm. Please let me know if you can help.
14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The error indicates a failure to communicate with the lens.  

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

The is achieved through the contacts, as you have surmised.  But, the Samyang lens has no contacts to touch those on the camera.  So, I am leaning towards ruling out the Samyang as the cause of the problem.

Cleaning the contacts only works when you can SEE that there is foreign debris on the contacts.  Otherwise, cleaning them will only begin to rub off the gold plating, at best.

The fact that it happens with more than one auto-focusing lens suggests that the fault lies with the camera.  If your lenses are bad, then they would seem to have been damaged in a near identical fashion, such as being exposed to moisture.  

If you can, try to test the lenses on another camera body.  Try to test a different auto-focusing lens on your camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

taybeats502
Apprentice
I don’t have any other cameras or lenses. I’m going to bestbuy and see if they will let me try. There’s been no moisture in the camera that Im aware of. I keep the camera in lowepro DSLR bag besides when I shoot.

@taybeats502 wrote:
I don’t have any other cameras or lenses. I’m going to bestbuy and see if they will let me try. There’s been no moisture in the camera that Im aware of. I keep the camera in lowepro DSLR bag besides when I shoot.

Find a mom and pop camera shop, if you can.

taybeats502
Apprentice
I tried both the 50mm and the 18-55 mm at Best Buy and they both worked on the t3i they had set up. A guy there told me to check the firmware and I even bought a microfiber cleaning kit. There were no updates in the EOS utility and I cleaned the contacts and yet the problem remains. I’ve now came to the conclusion that it is in the camera body or the contacts. All the contacts are extended and still gold. I haven’t done any rainy shoots and try my hardest to keep it in the bag. Has anyone else experienced this.

@taybeats502 wrote:
I tried both the 50mm and the 18-55 mm at Best Buy and they both worked on the t3i they had set up. A guy there told me to check the firmware and I even bought a microfiber cleaning kit. There were no updates in the EOS utility and I cleaned the contacts and yet the problem remains. I’ve now came to the conclusion that it is in the camera body or the contacts. All the contacts are extended and still gold. I haven’t done any rainy shoots and try my hardest to keep it in the bag. Has anyone else experienced this.

Contact Canon Support.  Have your purchase receipt information handy when you do.

It seems to be the camera, just as I feared.  Make sure your battery is fully charged.  Most of the people working at big box stores are not well informed about the products they sell.  Manufacturers conduct annual product seminars, but employment we turnover is so high that most of the people on the sales floor have little to no knowledge about the products in their area.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I’ve tried cleaning the contacts like the message and internet says ..."

This never to rarely works or help anything.  It can make it worse!  The act of mounting and removing the lens is all the 'cleaning' it needs.

Isn't a T7i still under warranty?  Don't mess with it call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.

It is not the FW.  Most importantly don't do any of the nonsense offered on the ole inner web.  Most of thoes people don't know anymore about it than you do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I’ve tried cleaning the contacts like the message and internet says ..."

This never to rarely works or help anything.  It can make it worse!  The act of mounting and removing the lens is all the 'cleaning' it needs. ...

The problem with that argument, Ernie, is that the act of mounting and removing the lens, which inevitably involves metal-on-metal abrasion, is bound to be at least as hard on the contacts as almost anything the user could do to try to "clean" them. So while such procedures may indeed be futile, it's hard to see how they're likely to cause serious additional harm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert, my friend,

"So while such procedures may indeed be futile, it's hard to see how they're likely to cause serious additional harm."

Sounds to me like you are volunteering to be the test subject. Great!  When you get your new Mk IV try several cleaning methods and report back to us.  One of them will surely make things better. If and when you get through the plating, you better stop, though.  How about starting with a pencil eraser?  No, you say?  But folks come up with all sorts of things that are "bound to work".  Truth is they never to rarely do but you go ahead and test for us. Thanx in advance.

EB

" Truth is they never to rarely do but you go ahead and test for us."

Addendum, ...

Some cleaning schemes folks come up with can and actually do damage to the contacts.  For the rest of the Canon camera world not as venturous as Bob, never, never use a pencil eraser to clean those contacts. A Q-tip with denatured alcohol is the maximum effort to ever try.

EB
Announcements