cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err01 multiple lenses

taybeats502
Apprentice
Hey I have a canon rebel t7i, a canon 50 mm 1.8, canon 18-55 and a Samyang 14mm 2.8. Randomly last night I got the err 01 message while using the 50mm. The same thing happens with 18-55 mm. The Samyang works perfect I believe because it has the built in aperture ring. I’ve tried cleaning the contacts like the message and internet says but I haven’t tried with a actual cleaning cloth only lightly rubbing the contacts with my soft T-shirt. I’ve tried to put the lens on in manual focus focus with out creating direct contact with the pins or the click just to see if it would still focus and neither did. I kind of feel like the Samyang had something to do with the problem because everything worked fine until I got this lens with the built in aperture control. I just want find something out before I send it off. My clients are starting to pick up and those different angles are crucial at least with the 50 mm and the 14mm. Please let me know if you can help.
14 REPLIES 14

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Truth is they never to rarely do but you go ahead and test for us."

Addendum, ...

Some cleaning schemes folks come up with can and actually do damage to the contacts.  For the rest of the Canon camera world not as venturous as Bob, never, never use a pencil eraser to clean those contacts. A Q-tip with denatured alcohol is the maximum effort to ever try.

Who said I'm venturous enough to use a pencil eraser? Pencil erasers can be highly abrasive. But I don't think I'd hesitate to use an alcohol swab if I thought the contacts were getting gummed up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I don't think I'd hesitate to use an alcohol swab ..."

OK, great we'll wait for your results.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Addendum, ...

Some cleaning schemes folks come up with can and actually do damage to the contacts.  For the rest of the Canon camera world not as venturous as Bob, never, never use a pencil eraser to clean those contacts. A Q-tip with denatured alcohol is the maximum effort to ever try.

Who said I'm venturous enough to use a pencil eraser? Pencil erasers can be highly abrasive. But I don't think I'd hesitate to use an alcohol swab if I thought the contacts were getting gummed up.

Using a solvent to clean the contacts is the best argument against trying to clean them.  No solvents, not ever!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Addendum, ...

Using a solvent to clean the contacts is the best argument against trying to clean them.  No solvents, not ever!

It's not altogether clear why you say that. Most such contacts are gold plated, and I believe there's only one solvent known that dissolves gold.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Using a solvent to clean the contacts is the best argument against trying to clean them.  No solvents, not ever!"

I could have guessed who said that with out your quote Robert.  But whatever.

"Most such contacts are gold plated, and I believe there's only one solvent known that dissolves gold."

Everyone else, a Q-tip with a little denatured alcohol, never, never use a pencil eraser.

The fact remains cleaning is rarely needed. I know there has to be and there is situations where some substance got on the contacts and will need to be removed.  Maybe your two years old darling grandbaby smeared peanut butter and jelly on the inside of the camera. Of course common sense helps.  If you are in a sand storm, don't change your lens!.

Who knows but normal use will almost always be sufficient.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements