cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Err 05 - can anyone help? Canon EOS Rebel XS

rdebaar
Apprentice

I have a Rebel XS and everytime I try to take a pic I get Err 05... I have turned off and on again (like it tells me to) and removed the battery... It says there is an obstruction to the flash???  Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6

Mykolas
Authority

Hi rdebaar,

Err 05 can appear when the flash is obstructed or when it simply will not pop up when the camera tries to release it.  You can try manually releasing it by turning the <MODE DIAL> to the [P] mode, then pressing the <FLASH> button located near the lens mount just below the flash on the front of the camera.  If the flash still does not release and you continue to see Err 05, then the camera will need to be repaired.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

If the camera is more than a year old, you may also participate in the Canon Loyalty Program instead.  The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The unit offered through this program carries a 90 day warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

Sorry to disturb 2 years later.

I have the same "err05" problem with my EOS rebel XS but it doesn't make any noise (flash) when I wanna take the picture.

Nothing except for the error message.

I can press each button (not only the one to take the pic) and it gives me the same message.

Is my camera dead ? If not, do you know approximatively how much would cost me to fix it ?

Thank you very much.

Maud R

When it tries to pop up, you can stick your finger nail in the crack and "help" it to pop.  You must be quick as it only gives you a sceond or two.  The flash linkage may just be dirty and a little alochol will clean it right up.

If this is not the case, you need to get an estimate before you have service done.  It could run pretty close to what the XS is worth if it is not just a little cleaning.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's 2023....and this fingernail hack helped me so much. (I used a cardboard to lift the flash up since my nail wouldn't fit)  

Turns out it was a bit of ice cream stuck in there.

Thank you so much 🙌🏾

TetraSoup
Apprentice
You just saved my life...

Quiet
Enthusiast

Rdebarr, that happened to me with my T7 and it was because I hadn't cleanly trimmed the small piece of surgical tape I wanted to use as a diffuser. The clearance around the flash housing is minimal when nestled back into the camera top and the spring that pops it up isn't very robust.

I put my camera into one of the "creative modes" like M ore Av and pressed the flash button so the little retainer hook moved out of the way. I was then able to gently pry the flash up and out with a thin guitar pick. Since removing the tape I've not had the problem again.

Announcements