cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Rebel T4i + 430EX flash = washed out pictures

WakkoWarner
Contributor

I do eBay listings for someone.  When I am out of town, someone else needs to take pictures.  So, we purchased a Rebel T4i at a pawn shop (barely had 1,000 shutter activations on it).  It needed a flash, as the conditions in the warehouse are not always optimal for taking pictures. 

So, we acquired a 430EX flash.  The problem is that no matter what position the flash is in, the pictures are always washed out.  We have a cheap Bower SFD35C flash that we were using with it (cost about $30).  It does an okay job, but doesn't light up the items enough (they are kind of dark, but never washed out like with the 430EX).

The camera that I personally use for taking the pictures is a Sony Alpha A65 with an HVL-F58AM flash.  I keep the flash angled one click backwards and the pictures always turn out fine.  Since I do not have experience with the Canon cameras, can anyone guide me as to setting up the camera and the flash to work together??  I am actually beginning to wonder if the flash is defective (it was purchased used), since once I take a picture, I can no longer adjust any settings on the flash until I turn it off and on again.

If anyone has any ideas or pointers, your input will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250
21 REPLIES 21

ScottyP
Authority

Are you shooting in ETTL flash mode or manual flash mode?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I am shooting in ETTL mode.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

Is your shooting distance within the range shown on the flash LCD?

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

None of those things show up on the flash ever.  I am beginning to think the flash is not working properly or it is not syncing with the camera.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does the on-camera flash work properly?

That flash behavior doesn't sound right. That doesn't happen with mine.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Don't forget to check the usual suspects like flash and exposure compensation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Also, this sounds like you are shooting small things, are you using a soft box or anything? You might be too close.

The items are too big for a soft box.  I shoot from the same distances with my Alpha A65 and the pictures are never washed out.  I suspect that some settings in the camera are wrong or the flash is defective.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

Use P mode and turn down the flash exposure compensation.

Announcements