cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Rebel T4i + 430EX flash = washed out pictures

WakkoWarner
Contributor

I do eBay listings for someone.  When I am out of town, someone else needs to take pictures.  So, we purchased a Rebel T4i at a pawn shop (barely had 1,000 shutter activations on it).  It needed a flash, as the conditions in the warehouse are not always optimal for taking pictures. 

So, we acquired a 430EX flash.  The problem is that no matter what position the flash is in, the pictures are always washed out.  We have a cheap Bower SFD35C flash that we were using with it (cost about $30).  It does an okay job, but doesn't light up the items enough (they are kind of dark, but never washed out like with the 430EX).

The camera that I personally use for taking the pictures is a Sony Alpha A65 with an HVL-F58AM flash.  I keep the flash angled one click backwards and the pictures always turn out fine.  Since I do not have experience with the Canon cameras, can anyone guide me as to setting up the camera and the flash to work together??  I am actually beginning to wonder if the flash is defective (it was purchased used), since once I take a picture, I can no longer adjust any settings on the flash until I turn it off and on again.

If anyone has any ideas or pointers, your input will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250
21 REPLIES 21

To get camera back to normal:

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I tried it at my house (not the same as the warehouse, obviously), and the pictures are better.  I have the exposure compensation set to -1, shooting in P mode.  I am attaching some sample pictures so you can see how they look (one of them is horrible, but I had no other lighting turned on in the room.

IMG_2411.jpgIMG_2412.jpgIMG_2413.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2415.jpg

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

I can get the flash to open when I am not in A+ mode and it appears to work okay.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

diverhank
Authority

Find an area that has a white ceiling (not too high).  Set the camera in full auto (green square) but point the flash straight up in the air to bounce the light off the ceiling.  If you don't have a ceiling, try bouncing the flash off a white wall.  Your flash right now is too close to the subject, washing it out.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

We've tried the flash in multiple positions, boucing it off of the walls and the ceiling - same results.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

There can be many causes for washed-out pictures. But one thing that will do it every time is using a flash set to TTL with a camera that's expecting E-TTL.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

WakkoWarner
Contributor

Would getting a flash diffuser help at all??  I really need to get this camera figured out.  Let me know.  Thanks.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i
Canon EFS 55-250

Since you never showed us any images from the "warehouse" it is hard to say. A diffuser or soft box certainly would not hurt.

@WakkoWarner wrote:

Would getting a flash diffuser help at all??  I really need to get this camera figured out.  Let me know.  Thanks.

The pictures taken in your home indicated to me there is nothing wrong with your flash and camera. What is it that you are looking for, specifically? What do you think the pics should look like? There are some reflection and the color balance is off but  the pictures are not washed out as you claimed. 

Bottom line is what can I help you with?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I agree with diverhank. The photos posted look fine from an exposure standpoint; certainly not overexposed. Looks like you have -1 Exposure Compensation dialed in.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements