cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 400d rebel AF just clicking

anthonyj238
Contributor

Hello I was on holiday luckily enough last few days. I cleaned the lens with lens cleaner, took lens off and used a small amount off solution and cleaned the glass angled mirror behind the lens, is that the sensor ? Since I have done this the camera takes pics however AF is very blurry MF works but in AF mode it just makes a small reving noise when it should be focusing if that makes sense

I am new to this however I have had this camera years and I taken some amazing pics of my kids but i can only narrow this issue down to what i have done. Due to my stupidity by using cleaner on there have i damaged the camera as a whole or maybe just lens ?

I did have a 70-300 lens but gave it to a friend cause i never used it.

Hoping someone can help

Ant 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Ooh.  It sounds like you bumped the mirror out of alignment.  I think you need professional service.  No new parts, most likley.  Just a thorough checkout, and re-alignment, hopefully.  Contact Canon Support at, 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it serves as a note to all - the mirror has no effect on picture quality. It folds up out of the way when a picture is taken. A small amount of light does pass through the mirror for the autofocus system. As long as the camera auto focuses OK there is no reason to clean the mirror other than to perhaps use a squeeze blower to blow dust out of the mirror box. 

If you think the mirror needs cleaning have it performed by a reputable tech who will take responsibility if it gets damaged. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Ooh.  It sounds like you bumped the mirror out of alignment.  I think you need professional service.  No new parts, most likley.  Just a thorough checkout, and re-alignment, hopefully.  Contact Canon Support at, 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks will look into that, i am in UK so will try to get it checked

Thanks for response 😉

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it serves as a note to all - the mirror has no effect on picture quality. It folds up out of the way when a picture is taken. A small amount of light does pass through the mirror for the autofocus system. As long as the camera auto focuses OK there is no reason to clean the mirror other than to perhaps use a squeeze blower to blow dust out of the mirror box. 

If you think the mirror needs cleaning have it performed by a reputable tech who will take responsibility if it gets damaged. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah lesson learnt. Going to ring a repair centre canon emailed me about tomorrow, try and get a price.... if its high will just use MF but i am gutted.

Thanks for response 

You can also use live view which does not use the mirror at all.

would that AF still ? How do i try that please

£139 + vat to service and repair but may need new parts so could be higher 

press the live view button. The one that looks like a camera. You get AF, but it is contrast detection, not phase detection, so it is slower.

I cant find live view botton on my 400d13410689_229833180736730_1883807213_o.jpg

Oops, sorry, you do not have live view. You will have to get the camera serviced.

Announcements