cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Cinematography with Canon 1300D With 18-55MM Lens

HarveyProductio
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

So I've had my Canon 1300D with 18-55MM Lens (Basic Kit) for awhile now.

Recently I've decided to enter Cinematography / Filming.

This is the First Video I've filmed with the Canon 1300D ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpGemQiHo9Y )

I'm clearly missing something though, filter I'm assuming as it is almost impossible for me to film anything almost decent with the sun during the day. APART from when I use it to my advantage to get it through with the shadows the sun draws over the environment.

I'm under the assumption you can't change the shutter speed ETC manually through the Canon 1300D video settings?

Anywhooo, Basically I'm asking what type of Filming/ Lens / Filter equipment will I need to shoot Cinematography Professionally, Especially If I was to film outside (Over Exposure) due to the sun.. Naturally..

So If someone could explain a bit to me about all of it ETC. That would be a major help for me.

Thank you all very much

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The best kept secret about capturing great video is that it really helps to know how to capture great photos.  You might want to look at a variable ND filter, but I do not think it will help you at this point.  A faster shutter speed is simpler and cheaper.

Many of your scenes are strong backlighting, which always makes it hard to capture the foreground and background at the same time.  It also seems as if you have allowed the camera to determine exposure.   It also helps to have a fully manual lens.

The 1300D is the most basic camera body out of all of Canon’s entry level camera bodies.  It is a camera designed to teach the user about a DSLR.  While it can shoot video, it is better suited for filming someone blowing out the candles on a cake, than for serious film making.  For example, have you noticed that it lacks an external microphone input?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HarveyProductio
Apprentice
So what do you suggest I do if I'm wanting to get into film making then is my next big question. As I can't really afford other lens / cameras at this stage. I want to start working into film making And all that so just quite baffled

@HarveyProductio wrote:
So what do you suggest I do if I'm wanting to get into film making then is my next big question. As I can't really afford other lens / cameras at this stage. I want to start working into film making And all that so just quite baffled

I have already told you.  Learn how to take great still photos.  You have the perfect camera for it.  There is a learning curve to everything.  Once you understand cameras and still photography, you will a better understanding of making videos.

It is not about some magic setting, or set of button clicks.  It is all about understand what it is you are doing.  If you understood what you are doing, or trying to do, you would have bought a different camera, a much better camera for shooting video.

HarveyProductio
Apprentice
Understood.

In all fairness .. the camera was a gift. I had no chance to research

@HarveyProductio wrote:
Understood.

In all fairness .. the camera was a gift. I had no chance to research

Sorry, to sound harsh.  But, understanding the “ Exposure Triangle “ and “ Depth of Field “ are prerequisites.  You will understand why your video looks the way it does.  

If you want to get serious about video, then I recommend that you invest in a fast prime, or a fast fully manual lens,  A “fast lens” means a lens with a wide aperture, which means the f/number is very low, f/2.8 or less, preferably “one something.”

When it comes to shooting video, there is nothing more challenging than moving the camera.  Using a fixed camera position is far simpler.  Moving the camera will invariably require dynamic correction in the exposure settings.  

No one can tell you what settings to use when you move the camera around.  It requires planning.  YOU have to understand the lighting conditions and know how to compensate.

Announcements