cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronics Locked - Canon Rebel T2i 18MP SLR - Model: DS126271 (Body)

CameraBug
Apprentice

Camera Age: 1.75 years

Usage: Not so often

Condition: Never damaged

Original Memory Card When Failure Started: SD 4gb, 23mb/sec Class 6  (came new with camera) 

Problem: 

Since new we have been offloading the pictures using our computers connected to the mini USB slot on the camera.  The other day I was trying to download the pics in the usual way but was starting to have difficulty for the first time.  Using the PC and XP Service Pack 3, there seemed to be difficulty in the computer finding the camera.  Once found, there was difficulty in pulling up the picture files, very slow and hardly able to transfer.  At the same time, the camera start showing the word 'BUSY' on the display screen at the upper left corner.  I was able to finally remove the pictures but now the electronics of the camera seem to be 'frozen'. 

Symptoms are: 

1) With SD card in place, When you turn the camera on, the display lights up and contains the word 'BUSY' at the upper left corner. 

2) With SD card in place, same as above and the camera has no function - none (only the lighted display)

3) With SD card removed and SD cover closed, the camera will operate correctly but of course will not keep the picture (due to no SD card in place).  Display does tell me 'No Card In Camera".

4) No ERROR CODE is reporting.

5) Camera is being recognized by PC

6) Just purchased a new 8gb PNY SD card,  tried it in the camera and same problem exists - no change. 

Has anyone experienced the same problem?  

Would appreciate any assistance available from the forum group.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Have you ejected and re-inserted the battery?  The power switch is technically a soft-switch (it doesn't actually kill the power -- you might notice you get the sensor cleaning message after throwing the switch.)  

If a camera locks up, pull and re-insert the battery.

I noticed just one of my computers always seemed to have difficulty using just one of my camera bodies if I connected via USB and I'm not sure why.  I suspect there's some flakiness in the firmware for this but only one computer could repeat the problem and also only one of my camera bodies.

I normally never use the USB cable other than for tethered shooting.  My normal method of importing image is to put the camera's memory card in the computer and directly read the images off the card.

If your computer doesn't have a card reader slot, external readers are fairly inexpensive.  The advantage of this method is that it's usually much faster.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim for your input.  I had also tried what what you had suggested and there was no impact on the problem.  Below is a list of all my actions to try to fix the problem: 

My new actions are illustrated with asterisk before the number

Problem: 

Since new we have been offloading the pictures using our computers connected to the mini USB slot on the camera.  The other day I was trying to download the pics in the usual way but was starting to have difficulty for the first time.  Using the PC and XP Service Pack 3, there seemed to be difficulty in the computer finding the camera.  Once found, there was difficulty in pulling up the picture files, very slow and hardly able to transfer.  At the same time, the camera starts showing the word 'BUSY' on the display screen at the upper left corner.  I was able to finally remove the pictures but now the electronics of the camera seem to be 'frozen'. 

Symptoms are: 

1) With SD card in place, When you turn the camera on, the display lights up and contains the word 'BUSY' at the upper left corner. 

2) With SD card in place, same as above and the camera has no function - none (only the lighted display)

3) With SD card removed and SD cover closed, the camera will operate correctly but of course will not keep the picture (due to no SD card in place).  Display does tell me 'No Card In Camera".

4) No ERROR CODE is reporting on the display.

5) Camera is being recognized by PC

*6) I removed the battery, fully recharged and still no function – only lighted display with BUSY word.

*7) Connected the camera to 3 different PC’s, all with XP OS and still no function - lighted display with BUSY word.

*8) Tried 2 more re-formatted SD cards and still no function - lighted display with BUSY word.

*9) Tried a fully charged 2nd battery and still no function - lighted display with BUSY word.

*10) With SD card removed and door closed, I am able to get to the setup screen (see #3 above), in this mode I am able to restore the camera back to it’s original settings but when I return the SD card to the slot and close the door, then there is still no function – only lighted display with BUSY word.

Thanks again for your assistance. 

amfoto1
Authority

I have to agree with Tim in all respects, especially about using a card reader instead of downloading via the USB cable, but would also add...

Do you format your memory cards in the camera? I make a habit to format every time I insert a memory card (which can be up to a dozen times or more in a day's shoot. It becomes second nature after a whle.

Formatting in camera clears off, readies and organizes the card for use in the camera. Don't format in computer or you might write the wrong type of file system or put other things onto the card that will conflict with the camera.

Oh, and do your cards have a "write protected" switch on them? If so, make sure it's in the correct position to allow access to the card.

Alan Myers 

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks Alan . Please see my last post.  

This is a very strange situation and I think that  there may be 1) a firmware failure or 2) an EE failure (electrical circuit).  Seems quite major and something that should never occur unless there is some extreme damage (water, dropping or other), non of which occurred in my situation. 

If anyone has seen or heard of a similar failure, please leave some input - It would be greatly appreciated.  Of course, my last option is to send the camera in for factory repair (I'm hoping to find an easier and less costly solution first). 

Thanks everyone for any and all suggestions!

Regards

Loren

johnbogar
Apprentice

Same problem, no solution.  We have 2 Canon Rebel T2i and T3i and BOTH unable to load pictures to our comnputer.  Trued the basic turn on/off etc. Help please??

metz125
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem.  did you ever find a solution?

Trinalynn
Apprentice

I am also having trouble with a locked SD card. EXCEPT my card DOES NOT show Write Protect on the camera, it works just fine in the camera. It is when I put in my computer that it shows as locked. This has happened to 3 SD cards and none of them are set to the lock position on the card. Yet every time I try to delete the pictures on the SD card I am not allowed to delete them.  All 3 SD cards were fine (not locked or protected) until I used them in the camera now I have 3 card that I can not remove pictures from. I have even used command prompts to remove the "Read Only" setting from them and it worked on the first one it tried, until I used it in the camera again.

I did notice a "Protect?" setting on the camera; could this possible be the problem?

Announcements