cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR message inside camera is froze

mlterry99
Apprentice

My camera seems to be possibly freezing somehow.  I have a T3i Eos Rebel.  When I turn the camera on, it seems fine, but when you try to take a picture, you can hear the shutter, but then everything goes black.  "Err" appears inside the view.  The red busy light stay on.  Even after shutting the camera off, the red busy light stays on.  I have to remove the battery to get the light to turn off.  When I replace the battery, the LCD screen works and everything seems fine - until I try to take another picture.  It sounds like a picture is being taken, but when I check there are no images stored on the memory card.  What I have tried:

1. Removing and replacing the battery (this seems to retart everything)
  2. Swapping the lens out with another.
  3. Switching modes (I've tried multiple)
  4. Replacing the memory card

I am baffled.  Any suggestions on what it could be?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should always perform a "low level format" on any new memory card, prior to use.  Never use micro-SD cards with one of those adapters, either.  Adapters are most unreliable.

Have you tried resetting the camera?  There are so many adjustments in a camera that resetting back to factory defaults is the easiest and best way to make sure no settings are causing a problem.  The cameras can go operate in unfamiliar ways, which can make you think something is wrong with.it, like Mirror Lockup Mode.  

Set the mode dial on the top of the camera to Green [A], and see if the camera works outdoors in the sunshine.  This is the best mode to test the integrity of a camera, because it ignores nearly all custom settings and functions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle wrote:

You should always perform a "low level format" on any new memory card, prior to use.  Never use micro-SD cards with one of those adapters, either.  Adapters are most unreliable.

Have you tried resetting the camera?  There are so many adjustments in a camera that resetting back to factory defaults is the easiest and best way to make sure no settings are causing a problem.  The cameras can go operate in unfamiliar ways, which can make you think something is wrong with.it, like Mirror Lockup Mode.  

Set the mode dial on the top of the camera to Green [A], and see if the camera works outdoors in the sunshine.  This is the best mode to test the integrity of a camera, because it ignores nearly all custom settings and functions.

It sounds like a bug in the firmware. Some sort of race condition, probably, since it doesn't happen to everybody. The configuration of the card shouldn't have anything to do with it. (Note, however, that I said "shouldn't", not "doesn't".)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kate3
Apprentice

Have you had any luck fixing your camera? Mine is doing the same thing.

Announcements