cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS300D Card Reader replacement - apparently no longer available - where can I source one.

Sheryl_Y
Contributor

It appears my card reader is failing - I have used 4 different cards, all of which have given errors: I consistently get any of the following errors: Card full (never has been), error 02, No CF card and possibly some others I cannot remember.  It usually connects after several Power resets (removing battery), remove and reinsert CF card.  Sometimes both or either of the 2 will fix.  sometimes I just go away for awhile and come back and it is ok.  I always ensure I have a fully charged battery, have reformatted the card I use (only a few months old), have checked the pins and cannot see any bent, and cannot see any debris in the card reader.  I contacted Canon Australia who advise if it is a faulty card reader the part is no longer available - can anyone advise where I could get a replacement part if it is a card reader fail...  Obviusly there is an option of  either buying another body or replacing with a new one - but would like to try to fix..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Our recommendation is that based on the age of the camera repair is not cost effective. 

You can buy a used one for less than $50. Postage to and from  a repair center could cost that much alone. 

I owned one of those cameras when they first came out. I experienced a card reader problem. 

If you look in the card slot you should see a bunch of pins. Sometimes a pin gets bent. If you see a bent pin you could try, very carefully, to bend it back into position. I was able to do that. Camera worked for several more years till I retired it for an upgraded model. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You really don't know what the problem could be.  The symptom is a bad card slot, but there could be notheing wrong with it.  It could be the electronics connected to it that have failed.  The cost of repair will easily exceed the point of diminishing returns.

It's time to replace the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

eBay has a number of that model for sale for under $50. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sheryl_Y
Contributor
Can you either post a link or a part number - I have tried to find oar number but unable to. I still need to get it diagnosed properly, but would like to have the option of repair if it is viable

Our recommendation is that based on the age of the camera repair is not cost effective. 

You can buy a used one for less than $50. Postage to and from  a repair center could cost that much alone. 

I owned one of those cameras when they first came out. I experienced a card reader problem. 

If you look in the card slot you should see a bunch of pins. Sometimes a pin gets bent. If you see a bent pin you could try, very carefully, to bend it back into position. I was able to do that. Camera worked for several more years till I retired it for an upgraded model. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Sheryl_Y
Contributor
@wadizzle - I fully agree with your comments re not really knowing the cause, and realise it could be one of many things. As for diminishing returns I would like to investigate repair before discarding it - if diagnosis shows an simple issue I have lost nothing, and if repairs look too expensive I will look for a replacement camera..

Sheryl_Y
Contributor
Thanks John - I have looked at pins wand cannot see any issues - but it is really hard to see. Tbh this camera has had little use. - I was given it by my brother when he upgraded in 2008 and haven’t really used it much, which makes the failure more disappointing. I will have someone give it a quick check to see if it is something simple, but will look for an upgrade as well. At the least I can continue to use the lenses on another canon hopefully until I also upgrade lenses..

Sheryl_Y
Contributor
Thanks both of you - I got a used 600d & 3 lenses off eBay on the weekend. photo count is around 4K - haven’t checked shutter count and it is still compatible with my other lenses so may think about keeping my 90-300 zoom - but no rush .Had a solid look at my old camera - couldn’t see any pin issues. Turned it back on again and card connected / took photos. Turned it off then on again - gone.. Am getting it checked anyway, and if not too expensive to fix may just give it to someone who wants a camera.. along with the kit lens..
Announcements