cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS1000D / Rebel RAW problem

chrisfh
Contributor

My daughter has resurrected an old EOS1000D camera and taken images in raw. She has transferred them to her (up to date) Mac but the cr2 files are not recognised by LR, PS or even DNG converter. I shoot in RAW with my EOS800D no problem, she sent me the images and I cannot read them on my Windows 10 desktop either. The DNG convertor actually says "the file appears to be an unsupported format". 

We have both installed DPP and the canon camera raw plugin on our systems. And updated the Adobe apps. She bought a new SD 32G card a few days ago and there is still a problem. Her camera settings are creating both RAW & jpg, we can see the jpg images. 

If I look at the RAW images through Bridge or DPP, I can see the exif information, but I cannot open or save the images. The exif info shows that the firmware is 1.0.7, I looked that up it appears to be the latest version. 

We live in diff cities so have been using teamviewer to check her setups and updates on her system. 

Would appreciate any help how to solve this!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Peter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Peter wrote:

In the CR2 file the embedded jpeg that I extracted is at the beginning of the CR2 file and also smaller. I haven't extracted the other two embedded files.
The raw file in the CR2 file is corrupt, but 25% of it is still okey.
Perhaps also at the beginning, I don't know.

One way to check if the raw file is intact in the camera may be to check the file size like the picture below shows.

If the camera is recording both RAW and JPEG, which file would get displayed during playback?  You will not see both.

It will show the jpeg file size if you shoot raw+jpeg.

That's what I thought.  Plus, it is not like you can delete one file or the other using the camera.  If you delete one, you will delete them both.  I would assume that the RAW file(s) is corrupt, and unrecoverable.  Try shooting as RAW only.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority
The raw file seems big enough so if she is lucky it is just a transfer issue.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

yes I'm hoping so, just waiting for the card reader Smiley Happy

Thank you everybody this was such an obscure issue and through this forum I've been able to find a solution. 

As suggested we changed the setting in camera to RAW only, with a formatted in camera new SD card and it worked!

We were able to see the RAW images on both our systems.

She lives in C.T. so we have our restrictions here as to shopping, but she has ordered a card reader which might even allow her to transfer both RAW & jpg. In the mean time she can get on with her new found hobby of photography.

Thank you again, really appreciate the help.

Announcements