cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS digital XT cabel

frankieraney
Apprentice

I picked up a EOS digital XT CHEAP....it did not have the usb cable with it.  My question is, will ANY usb to mini usb cable work? I don't see why not....

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

It shouldn't require any special USB cable so long as it fits the camera properly. But if you're using it to download images from the camera to a computer, you might still be disappointed. The XT is old enough that many newer operating systems won't recognize it when plugged in. At least that's what I found out when I tried plugging a used XT I bought into Win7.

Not surprisingly, Canon doesn't seem to offer any updated utilities. If you've got the original Canon software disc that shipped with the camera you might try installing it and get lucky. But you may have issues trying to install older 32 bit software on a newer 64 bit computer.

The simplest solution by far will be to use a USB card reader to transfer your image files. Enjoy your "new" old camera!

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@frankieraney wrote:

I picked up a EOS digital XT CHEAP....it did not have the usb cable with it.  My question is, will ANY usb to mini usb cable work? I don't see why not....

USB cables can come in two basic flavors: USB power cables and USB data cables.  You want the latter, a USB data cable.  

The primary difference is the number of conductors in the cable that are actually connected to and through the USB connectors at either end.  Power cables only connect power, while data cables connect power and the data signal lines.  

The cheap USB cables that you might see at a gas station are almost always USB power cables, which are primarily designed only for charging up a smart device or phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

It shouldn't require any special USB cable so long as it fits the camera properly. But if you're using it to download images from the camera to a computer, you might still be disappointed. The XT is old enough that many newer operating systems won't recognize it when plugged in. At least that's what I found out when I tried plugging a used XT I bought into Win7.

Not surprisingly, Canon doesn't seem to offer any updated utilities. If you've got the original Canon software disc that shipped with the camera you might try installing it and get lucky. But you may have issues trying to install older 32 bit software on a newer 64 bit computer.

The simplest solution by far will be to use a USB card reader to transfer your image files. Enjoy your "new" old camera!

I understand it is old, but it is still a great camera.  I may give it away to get someone started after I buy a lens.

Compatibility will not be a problem for me, and I can use my card reader for d/l images, but if I upgrade the firmware I will need a cable or do the same thing and put it on the card?  I have downloaded all the software.

I got it for $20 and a Used lens from B&H will be less than $100, so not bad.

"...if I upgrade the firmware I will need a cable..."

Actually you don't need the USB cable for the upgrade and I suggest you not try it that way.  If a FW upgrade goes punchy, only Canon can restore the camera.  They don't service XT's any longer. Keep that in mind.

All you need is a good empty CF (I or II) card and your reader.  Copy the FW update to the card and put the card in the camera. I am not sure I would even do it. If the camera is working and it is doing what you want why do it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Register the camera with Canon then maybe you can see if there is a firmware update available which could be risky as mentioned. You only need a USB 2.0 cable for that one and a computer with a compatible USB 2.0 port 

@frankieraney wrote:

I understand it is old, but it is still a great camera.  I may give it away to get someone started after I buy a lens..

I got it for $20 and a Used lens from B&H will be less than $100, so not bad.

Before you plunk down $100 on a used lens you might try to find someone with some Canon gear that will loan you a lens to take a few sample shots. This will at least let you know if the camera is still functioning properly if you bought a used body only.

If it works, you've done well for $20. They're still a very usable camera if coupled with a decent lens. But don't worry too much about firmware upgrades. It won't add any new features and by today's standards the Rebel Xt is stone-axe simple. And a perfectly good "student" camera.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.  I am going to the local camera store today. I'll try one there.  All functions of the body wowrk fine without a lens, so I think I'll be ok.......

My firmware ver is 1.0.3        was anything after this any good?  I do not see a reason to update.

" I do not see a reason to update."

Then don't.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I went to the local camera store, and they let me try a lens on the body.  I snapped a few shots inside the store....Wow I was impressed, for a started cmaera this thing takes sharp photos.........Now that I know it is COMPLETELY functional, i'll set it on "A" and let my wife start useing it.  She is getting interested.......she always uses her cell phone to take pics of the grandkids, but she aske me "is that for me".  Big hint! 

Thanks for all you guys help and responses......truly appreciate it.....

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@frankieraney wrote:

USB cables can come in two basic flavors: USB power cables and USB data cables.  You want the latter, a USB data cable.  

The primary difference is the number of conductors in the cable that are actually connected to and through the USB connectors at either end.  Power cables only connect power, while data cables connect power and the data signal lines.  

The cheap USB cables that you might see at a gas station are almost always USB power cables, which are primarily designed only for charging up a smart device or phone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements