cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam will not recognize hdmi input

mobydick
Apprentice

Trying to record video to computer. T3i, windows 10, trying to go from the mini hdmi on the camera to the hdmi on the laptop. EOS webcam utility works with usb connection from the camera, but the quality sucks. A different device works through HDMI to the laptop so the port there is good. The hdmi mini port on the camera will connect via the same hdmi cable to another device, so the cable is good and that port is good. But camera + hdmi + laptop is a no go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I've turned everything off and on. Jiggled wires. I have recordings taken from before with this setup. I can't think of anything that has changed on the computer except windows auto updates. *Edit to add: I was wrong, I don't think I've done it with this exact setup. But I still feel like I've checked all the boxes and this should be working!

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

The EOS Webcam Utility only works via USB, so it would not have a method to detect the HDMI signal.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mobydick wrote:

Trying to record video to computer. T3i, windows 10, trying to go from the mini hdmi on the camera to the hdmi on the laptop. EOS webcam utility works with usb connection from the camera, but the quality sucks. A different device works through HDMI to the laptop so the port there is good. The hdmi mini port on the camera will connect via the same hdmi cable to another device, so the cable is good and that port is good.

But camera + hdmi + laptop is a no go. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I've turned everything off and on. Jiggled wires. I have recordings taken from before with this setup. I can't think of anything that has changed on the computer except windows auto updates. *Edit to add: I was wrong, I don't think I've done it with this exact setup. But I still feel like I've checked all the boxes and this should be working!

Connecting the HDMI out of the camera to the HDMI output of a laptop is a recipe for damaging one or the other, or both.  

As noted above, the EOS Webcam utility is designed to to work with the USB port, not the HDMI port.  Also, your DSLR would need to be in video mode, not a still photo shooting mode.  Finally, it is a good idea to reset the camera back to the factory defaults, most particularly the power options.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MetalSculptor
Contributor

I think I can help ...

I have a 600d / t3i (actually i have two as of this afternoon but thats another long and strange story) ....

Anyway, I decided a few months back that I wanted to stream on YouTube using this camera. I could do it with the USB cable but obviously quality is poor (480p standard I think?) I tried plugging in the HDMi cable but it doesnt work ... and there is a reason why ...

.... you need a video capture card! You also need the mini hdmi cable but sounds liek you already have that.

I think the one thats highly recommended is the 'Elgato', they cost about £100 / 120 USD if memory serves ... but ... you can get cheaper ones, knock offs if you like. I bought one on ebay, it works and it streams in HD. You can find comparison videos on youtube of people that have compared the Elgato to these cheaper ones. The difference is noticeable but its subtle, the knock offs are really pretty good.

Anyway, hope that helps. I can't send you a link to the exact one i bought because its no longer listed on ebay but I paid £13.99 for it and after a quick search of ebay now I'd say this is the one .... 

2.JPG

Hope that helps

John

[Commercial link removed per forum policy.  Screenshot of linked page provided to facilitate discussion.]

Announcements