cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility can´t detect my 700D anymore. Mtp usb problem

dihelson
Apprentice

Hello, fellows,

Everything was fine, I never had a problem connecting my EOS cameras to windows7. Then, I installed AVG antivirus and it removed my EOS software saying that there was a virus on it. I reinstalled EOS utility and removed AVG and installed Kaspersky, which didn´t detect any virus, but for my tragic surprise, when I connect my 700D or 5D Mark II or anything related to EOS utility it doesn´t recognize the camera. I beg you to help me. I struggle with this thing for 3 days and 3 nights without success and I don´t want to format my system, because everything is fine, I have tons of softwares installed and I don´t want to start from zero. And I need a usb connection in order to transfer files easily and make tethered photos, and videos connected, adjust focus, etc...

Researching on the internet, I saw some tips kind of deleting some filters on a key at the windows register, but on this key there´s no such upper or lower,

- I uninstalled all canon and reinstalled again at least 10 times

- I uninstalled USB drivers with no luck

Windows claims that it can´t install USB MTP driver for this device, and device sometimes is recognized, I see the name Canon EOS camera, but windows claims it couldn´t install any driver. I tried to update MTP drivers, but windows tells mtp drivers are updated.

Any help is welcomed !

Dihelson Mendonça

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I use Microsoft Essentials as a free anti-virus and have never had issues. I'm not telling you to switch to that, but you might want to consider it.

I found this on line about the USB MTP (I had never heard of it before). It gives a MS recommended fix.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/the-mtp-usb-device-driver-doesnt...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@dihelson wrote:

Hello, fellows,

Everything was fine, I never had a problem connecting my EOS cameras to windows7. Then, I installed AVG antivirus and it removed my EOS software saying that there was a virus on it. I reinstalled EOS utility and removed AVG and installed Kaspersky, which didn´t detect any virus, but for my tragic surprise, when I connect my 700D or 5D Mark II or anything related to EOS utility it doesn´t recognize the camera. I beg you to help me. I struggle with this thing for 3 days and 3 nights without success and I don´t want to format my system, because everything is fine, I have tons of softwares installed and I don´t want to start from zero. And I need a usb connection in order to transfer files easily and make tethered photos, and videos connected, adjust focus, etc...

Researching on the internet, I saw some tips kind of deleting some filters on a key at the windows register, but on this key there´s no such upper or lower,

- I uninstalled all canon and reinstalled again at least 10 times

- I uninstalled USB drivers with no luck

Windows claims that it can´t install USB MTP driver for this device, and device sometimes is recognized, I see the name Canon EOS camera, but windows claims it couldn´t install any driver. I tried to update MTP drivers, but windows tells mtp drivers are updated.

Any help is welcomed !

Dihelson Mendonça

If all else fails, see if you have a restore point to which you can revert. Some Microsoft updates, notably the monthly "Malicious Software Removal Tool", routinely create a restore point before doing their thing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Unfortunately, I had disabled all restore points on my machine. I have restore points only after EOS crash. I have tried everything you could imagine. I suspect I will have to install windows again and all software I had used for 3 years ( My god ! ). 

@dihelson wrote:

Unfortunately, I had disabled all restore points on my machine. I have restore points only after EOS crash. I have tried everything you could imagine. I suspect I will have to install windows again and all software I had used for 3 years ( My god ! ). 

I feel your pain, but try to look at the good side: You'll probably discover that half the stuff you had installed no longer works or you no longer use. By leaving it off, you'll make the computer run faster; and if you're really lucky, one of those programs is what's interfering with EOSU.

And you may even gain enough space to turn restore points back on. They have been known to work. I once screwed up a laptop on the train home from work; but with the help of a restore point that happened to be there, I got it fixed before the train got to my stop.

Bob

Hi, Bob, that is true, perhaps half of the softwares was installed to test and some of them are still installed with no use. May be a fresh reinstall would give a new live to my machine and this time, I will install only what I really use on a daily basis, Perhaps I´ll have to make a list of them, search for the installation files, leave them on another drive ready ( I hope not to forget something ), and then format C: OR, you know, I discovered an old image of the system, when there was not many softwares, may be I could install on another SSD drive and if it work, I could install only a few softwares that I use more often. Today I´ll make some test usong this acronis image I discovered and later, I´ll post here if this experiment was successful.

Thanks for staying with me, trying to find a solution. That was very important, because I was in a real pain.

I´m still struggling with this problem. I didn´t give up nor want to format my machine and have to install everything again, there´s so much good drivers, everything runs perfect unless EOS software.

Windows allows you to configure what actions it takes when a device is detected on the USB port.  Your machine could be set to "Take No Action" when devices are discovered on the USB port.  This would be similar to "Autoplay" if a thumb drive contained music.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Windows allows you to configure what actions it takes when a device is detected on the USB port.  Your machine could be set to "Take No Action" when devices are discovered on the USB port.  This would be similar to "Autoplay" if a thumb drive contained music.

That's true, of course, but the :Take no action" setting wouldn't keep it from recognizing the camera. It should still show up in Windows Explorer.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

That's true, of course, but the :Take no action" setting wouldn't keep it from recognizing the camera. It should still show up in Windows Explorer.

Who looks in Windows Explorer?  I think looking in "Devices and Printers" is a better place. 

Nevertheless, the "Take No Action" setting would stop the EOS Utility from opening, making it seem as if the camera is not recognized.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements