cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T7i Trying to connect via wifi

moif
Apprentice

I moved and got a new wifi router and have been having trouble connecting to my Canon EOS T7i via the camera connect app over my wifi network. At this point I've narrowed it down to distance. If I have my camera really close to the router it has no trouble connecting to my phone and transferring images. If I have it on my tripod with my lightbox it connects very slowly and will often disconnect making for a very frustrating experience. The distance from my tripod to my router at that point is approximately 13ft, though that's with my router moved to be as close as I can get it. I really want this to be able to work from more like 15-20ft. I do not have this issue with any of my other wifi devices connected to the network, and many of them work from even farther distances away (and through walls).

Is this distance limitation a known issue with my camera model? Is it possibly something wrong with the camera that I can get Canon to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Just a quick question. Why are you connecting to your phone through your router? Why not just connect directly to your phone?

Because connecting to the router is far less effort. My phone is already always connected to my home WiFi system. To connect to the camera's WiFi would mean having to constantly change my phone over to the Camera's seperate network which is a huge pain.

For another whenever my phone is connected to the camera's WiFi I lose all ability to also access the internet. So if I'm in the middle of a longer photo taking session and I want to be able to look up something online for whatever reason, I have to switch my phone over to my wifi network, look up the thing, and then switch back to the camera to be able to continue downloading photos. 

Versus if it connects to my home wifi all I have to do is connect it up when I turn the camera on and not have to worry about what network my phone is on atm. 

Not sure what to tell you, the cameras power to wi-fi is limited so that the range is a lot less than other wi-fi enabled products. Maybe someone else on here can think of a work around that might extend it's range some.

Announcements