cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T6i Rebel : blue spot on pins (battery and lens) and won't start : is this serious doctor?

fantomasmusic
Contributor

Hi,

Happy new year !

I don't know the "technical" name to my problem, probably an electrical term Woman Happy but electrical thing, it's not for me Woman Very Happy

4 photos to my google doc 

It's an EOS T6i Rebel (bought in 2018)

As you can see on the picture, there is "blue spot" is on the pins (battery side) AND another on the pins between my EOS and my lens!

For the story, two day before (the 28 december), i took some photos, eveything was fine until the EOS shut down, no battery I tought (It was probably that because the outside temperature was about -10 Celcius (14 F)).
I charge the battery and today (the 2nd january), after insering battery in my EOS slot, i checked and the EOS won't start. At this moment, I checked the battery and I saw the "blue spot" in the battery slot. After that, I unmounted the lens and... surprise..., an another blue spot.

I tried to "clean" the blue spot and the pins with alcool. I reload the battery and tried to start my EOS.. and nothing ! 

So :

1/ did I do something wrong? or it's "100% back luck" ?

2/ In your opinon, is it repairable ?

Thank you a lot for your contribution (answer, compassion, advice) to my investigation Heart

Woman Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi wq9nsc, 

My camera is store in a dry environnement, but i think my "mistake" was to juste drop my camera at home after a long period outside. I imagine, in this condition, condensation will occurs and somes water drop in my camero and it's enough to create a "electrical contact" that destroy everything ! I clean my battery pins, i wait a lot et let the battery slot dry. I put again the battery (recharged) and nothing. I take care to connect only the camero (the box), i disconnect the lens to focus on 1 problem at the same time. And sadly, as I mentionned, nothing happens, so my conclusion is "it's more serious than i thought" and very certainly my camera is dead, maybe my lens (the regular that come with the T6i) is ok but i'm not sure, very scepticism about it. 

The word is this story : It's a beginner mistake, I should have remove my battery when I came home. I should have put my camera in a "ziplock" bag after a long exposure to cold temperature. 

I'm sad that's happens, but if I learn my mistake, it will help me to avoid to do it a second time 🙂

So, i would like to thank you guys, the community to make this situation more understandable for me ! I understand my mistake and i will work on it all my life 🙂

Thank you, I love you and happy new year !

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

It makes sens.

My camera is store in a drawer in a wood furniture in my living room. It think this environnement is safe.

BUT, if you speak about "a long exposion", i have an idea. Is it possible that my camera could absorb some salt in my car ?

I don't have "camera bag", I put my camera in my backpack and I drop it in my car on the feet space (floor level) of the back seat. 
And my hopothesis could be : if salt are present on the floor of the back seat (dropped by shoes), maybe, after an "cold exposure", my camera absorb salt from this place when it warm up. But i have to tell something : i don't have car, I just rented one for this christmas holiday and use it couple of times (so place my backpack with my camera inside) maybe 4 times.

Is it enough to create this effect ?

Other solution, during christimas, I place some candles above the furniture, working durint 10-15 hours, could be this ?

After this, I have no idea what could trig this corrosion !

For the next time, i will take in consideration a better weather resistance. It's sad to waste a T6i juste for that...

Thank you wq9nsc for your investigation, it's very helpful!!!

To complete my problem, I add an other thing : I think a have this, a corrosion.

When i take a look inside my camera I see a lot a spot (like the picture below). And it's not in the lens, it's in the camera.

When I unplug my lens, I can still see the dots.

I think my camera is concerned by this problem : https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_760d.html?type=im...

I got a serial number 02xxx and not dot as mentionned. 

I create a support ticket to canon to see if they have explanation. Just in case 🙂

Just a guess, but the rental car is a definite possibility with all of the different cleaners/disinfectants used for COVID.  It is possible some residue from it is at fault.

I would take a good look at other stuff in your home that should be similarly impacted (i.e. the battery compartment of remote controls) to see if they show similar and if not then your guess about the rental is a good possibility.  Of course make sure nothing could be in your backpack itself that caused the issue.

That is the kind of corrosion that would normally show up with salt water exposure, leaky batteries, etc.  For it to show up in multiple places in your camera indicates exposure to an unusually corrosive environment.  If you were shooting surfing photos or other scenes where you were constantly in moist ocean air, that would make sense but normal environmental exposure just doesn't cause that level of corrosion or this and other forums would be filled with users experiencing the same problem with cameras, image stabilized binoculars, and other portable consumer electronics products.  For years, battery powered portable radios were very common and the only time they would show corrosion like that was from leaky batteries even though they were often used in high humidity and other abusive conditions.  Electrical contacts are reasonably protected against corrosion sufficiently to survive any normal environment as part of design.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@fantomasmusic wrote:

To complete my problem, I add an other thing : I think a have this, a corrosion.

When i take a look inside my camera I see a lot a spot (like the picture below). And it's not in the lens, it's in the camera.

When I unplug my lens, I can still see the dots.

I think my camera is concerned by this problem : https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_760d.html?type=im...

I got a serial number 02xxx and not dot as mentionned. 

I create a support ticket to canon to see if they have explanation. Just in case 🙂

I don't think what you are seeing here is the issue discussed in the Canon bulletin. If what you are showing here has been on your sensor since the camera was new you would have seen it in any photos you took.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

About the only other thing you might try is a product called DeoxIT D100. DeoxIT is a nearly miraculous cleaner for removing corrosion from electrical contacts and provides a layer of lubrication and protection.

DO NOT USE THE AEROSOL SPRAY VERSION OF THIS PRODUCT FOR CLEANING INSIDE OF THE CAMERA OR LENS. You don't want the overspray getting on the sensor, mirror, viewfinder screen or lens elements. If you can, get a small bottle of it with the eye-dropper tip or the brush applicator. You don't want to flood this material into the body of the camera or lens, though it is safe for use on plastic.

Apply just enough to soak the visible corrosion on the body, lens and battery contacts. Let it soak in and go to work for an hour or two, or even overnight. Then carefully scrub around the contacts a bit using maybe an old toothbrush or something similar. Clean out any loose crud with a cotton swab dipped in a bit of rubbing alcohol. Then repeat the procedure again as needed if you still see traces of corrosion.

Once things are noticeably cleaned up pop in a freshly charged battery and see if it will power up. If it won't it's probably because there's still more corrosion deeper down in the body or lens where the DeoxIT can't reach. But for the cost of the DeoxIT I'd say it's worth a try.

Announcements