cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T6 Rebel as a webcam

MissMasque
Apprentice
I'm having an issue using my Rebel T6 as a webcam. It lags so bad and it auto shuts off. I set it to never shut off but it still does after 30 minutes. I am using the webcam with skype, zoom and discord and it lags so bad. I cannot find in the camera settings on the computer or camera how to make it stop. Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Any suggestions?"

Buy a real web cam or video camera, if you wish to use it for extended sessions.  You cannot find documentation because you are using it in an undocumented manner.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do not know if the work around described in the following thread will "work" with your camera.  Seems like it should.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/M50-auto-power-s-off-even-when-disabled/td-p/250454 

Again, I do not recommend using your camera in the mannner.  It is likely to overheat, and possibly damage itself.  If the temperature sensors on the image sensor detect that it is beginning to overheat, the camera will shut down.  

However, if the circuit boards begin to overheat, there is no heat sensor inside of the camera body to shut the camera down. 

@MissMasque wrote:
I'm having an issue using my Rebel T6 as a webcam. It lags so bad and it auto shuts off. I set it to never shut off but it still does after 30 minutes. I am using the webcam with skype, zoom and discord and it lags so bad. I cannot find in the camera settings on the computer or camera how to make it stop. Any suggestions?

In addition to the cautions that Waddizzle has raised, you should understand that you will never overcome the problem of video recording shutting off after 30 minutes. Canon programs it to work that way deliberately, to keep the camera from being taxed, in certain countries, as a video camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@MissMasque wrote:

In addition to the cautions that Waddizzle has raised, you should understand that you will never overcome the problem of video recording shutting off after 30 minutes. Canon programs it to work that way deliberately, to keep the camera from being taxed, in certain countries, as a video camera.

Apparently, the trick is to use the EOS Utility to put the camera into Live View mode, and then connect to the HDMI output.  It seems some cameras can stay in Remote Shooting mode like that indefinitely.

I am not sure the thirty minute rule applies since they are not recording on the camera.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am not sure the thirty minute rule applies since they are not recording on the camera.

Exactly.

MissMasque
Apprentice
There is a setting to turn off the auto shut off but it doesn't work, it shuts off anyway.

@MissMasque wrote:
There is a setting to turn off the auto shut off but it doesn't work, it shuts off anyway.

It might be overheating and shutting itself down.  How long does it stay on before turns off?  Don't know?  Find out.

JoseAngel
Apprentice
I have an EOS Rebel T6, I am using the Canon Webcam Utility Beta and I haven't had a single issue. Canon specifically listed this camera to work with their new app so I wouldn't know why others are saying it is not supposed to work as a webcam. Obviously it wasn't designed as one, but rather as a photo camera with video, but it does work and better than a webcam. There's an option to disable auto-shutoff, but I believe as long as you are using the utility it won't turn off. I also use an adapter to keep the camera plugged to power so I don't need to recharge the battery. Just put it on Video, connect a USB to your pc and you are up and running.
Announcements