cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS T5 Rebel Not Focusing

rcksblr
Apprentice

Hi Everyone, 

I just recieved a Canon T5 Rebel in the mail this week. It came as a kit with several lenses, etc.  I'm brand new to photography so bear with me. 

When it arrived I used the EF 75-300MM and it worked great.  Then I used the EFS 18-55MM a couple days ago and that worked great as well. I then went and took some photos with a wide angle lense and that went great - photos turned out awesome.  Then, when I took the wide angle lense off to just use the EFS 18-55MM it was super blurry - so blurry it will not take a picture because it cannot focus.  What's weird is when I attach a wide angle lense back to the EFS 18-55MM it works great again for wide angle shots.  I tried the EF 75-300MM again and that works fine still.  So it's obviously the EFS 18-55MM. Could it be a setting that I accidentally messed up? I tried to reset all setting but that didn't seem to do the trick.  Did it already go bad on me? 

Any help would be appreciated! 

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority

The only thing I can think of is that you somehow had the AF-MF switch on the 18-55mm lens to MF which means no auto-focus.  You should check that.  If so, switch it back to AF then it would be fine.

With the wide angle adapter, since the Focal Length is so wide, you naturally have more depth of field (DOF) so it looks like it's working because most of the picture is in focus even though the camera cannot auto focus.  Take that off, the DOF is not as deep so out of focus images will look out of focus.  I hope that makes sense...

By the way, the wide angle adaptor is probably not something you want to use to often as it degrades the picture quality.  My guess is you bought the kit from Amazon? The camera and lenses are fine...the adaptor not so much...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Yea it was a kit on Amazon.  I work in real estate and used the wide angle adapter for some pictures inside of a home I am selling.

I had tried the AF/MF already as well and that did not seem to do anything.

Its so out of focus with the 18-55MM that it wont even take the picture.  If I put my hand within 6 inches of the lense its in focus and will take a picture but anything further out then that it's very blurry and won't take the picture.  It tries to auto focus but cannot get in focus.  I'm stumped! 

The lens is probably focused beyond the electronic capability of the camera to bring it back to focus.  I'd suggest your setting the lens to MF, turn the focus ring yourself to bring it back to focus.  Once the lens is in focus, turn the switch back to AF and try auto focus again.

Either that or the lens is defective and needs to be returned or serviced.

WIDE ANGLE ADAPTER!!!!!! What wide angle adapter & why?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@rcksblr wrote:

Yea it was a kit on Amazon.  I work in real estate and used the wide angle adapter for some pictures inside of a home I am selling.

I had tried the AF/MF already as well and that did not seem to do anything.

Its so out of focus with the 18-55MM that it wont even take the picture.  If I put my hand within 6 inches of the lense its in focus and will take a picture but anything further out then that it's very blurry and won't take the picture.  It tries to auto focus but cannot get in focus.  I'm stumped! 

Are you sure that there isn't another filter, like a clioseup filter, on the lens?  Using that lens to focus on an object within 6 inches and successfully taking a picture, strongly suggest that there is a closeup filter on the lens. 

On the side of the lens you will see some numbers "MACRO   ##ft / ##m"  Those numbers reflect the MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, of the lens.  A distance of six inches is less than o.5 feet, which is less than the MFD,meaning the lens should not be able to focus on an object only 6 inches away from the lens.

Meanwhile, a closeup filter will allow you to focus on objects that are less than the MFD away from the lens.  To get the ability to focus on very close objects, you sacrifice the ability to focus on more distant objects.  I doubt if the lens can focus beyond 3 feet, or so, with a closeup filter attached to it.  Look closely at the front of your lens, and remove the closeup filter.  It sounds like there is one in place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You rock!  This was it. 

The wide angle adapter apparently has two parts so when I originally removed the wide angle adapter I only unscrewed the outter portion so it still had a filter on it - and it was super tight so it seemed to be all one piece when I tried to unscrew it before. 

Anyways, that was the problem.  I appreciate everyones help! 

@rcksblr wrote:

Original post....Then, when I took the wide angle lense off to just use the EFS 18-55MM it was super blurry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You rock!  This was it. 

The wide angle adapter apparently has two parts so when I originally removed the wide angle adapter I only unscrewed the outter portion so it still had a filter on it - and it was super tight so it seemed to be all one piece when I tried to unscrew it before. 

Anyways, that was the problem.  I appreciate everyones help! 

Could've saved us a lot of headaches if you would have mentioned that you still had part of the adaptor on!

Announcements